A Little Achievement

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
Hi

Had a really good lesson yesterday, instructor asked us to pretend we were riding a horse that was being sold to a client and we had to assess the horse for them. Was really interesting and made me think more. Then we switched horses (all RS horses) and did the same on the other horse and then stayed on that horse for rest of lesson.

We worked on some schooling and getting the horse to work of the leg. Started work on leg yields, which I never remember doing before when I used to ride (came back to it in late summer after 10yr break). My first attempt wasn't great as did not have my horse in straight enough line. But the next time I got it and was able to leg yield.

A little achievement but delighted I could do it, pony got big pats for being so good.

Well done G, I love it when people post positive stuff on here!

We used to do EXACTLY the same thing at my last riding school, both with 'assessing' the horse and with the swapping over during the lesson. I found it really useful as it made me think about how the horse was responding to me and why it may be working in a particular way. The whole exercise got me thinking completely differently.

So, come on then, what did you notice about the horse you rode first, and what sort of rider did you think it would be suitable for? :wink:

I find it interesting when you ride and access it as you would for client. I did that once and picked up lack of bend and looking to the outside on the circle. Instructor asked how i would correct etc.

What a novel idea, like that a lot. In fact may use that in a schooling session on Thursday. Not that any of my horses will ever be sold I hasten to add but because it will give me a different perspective. Glad you had a good lesson.

Thanks

Yeah it was really good and made me realise different things, like second horse moved off the leg much better than the first but is much more tense and needs very soft contact. Was really interesting to see how I had to adjust my riding from one horse to the next. I wanted to buy the second horse after the lesson, he is such a cutie :inlove:

That is a really interesting idea. But had you ridden the horses before?
I am currently confused - have been riding different RS ponies, but devoting a month to each one and after a few rides we sort of adapt to each other and they win my affections.
RI says one can improve any horse, but when buying must look at the quality and potential of the animal on which one is starting to work. Not sure if I can do this.

The first horse I have ridden several times, but was probably concentrating more on my own riding before and so knew some things about her like she is often behind the leg and has a sweet temperament so I learned more things about her like how schooled she is and how got she is etc.

Second horse I had never ridden before, I usually ride same horse for 3-4 lessons but some horses I ride more than others, also depends who else is in lesson as they may be asked to Tyra horse I often ride or vice versa.

newrider.com