A little help finding working pupil placements?

avaadora

Nov 5, 2007
London
Hello,

I'm applying for vet medicine to begin next September (hopefully I'll get into Nottingham so fingers crossed :)) and in the interim year I hope to get a working pupil placement and get up to BHSPI level if possible (and maybe even try for stage 3 if my riding comes up to parr). I live in Scotland and have been messed about by a fair few places here- offering me the job and then giving it to someone else at the last minute, taking me for a week long trial then never hearing from them again etc. And apart from Gleneagles there aren't many top notch exam centres in Scotland.

Could anybody advise me of where to go/ who to speak to that isn't miles and miles in the remotest areas of the South? I'm a really eager worker and (without sounding massively big headed) the academic side will be easily manageable for me, it is the practical side I need experience with (hence the working pupil position). Also as for paying thousands to lovely places- unfortunately I don't have the spare cash so I would have to sing for my supper (or work for my lessons as the case may be...)

It might be a stretch but it would be nice to be able to achieve my goal.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Have you considered moving away from your local area and getting a placement that includes accomodation as part of your pay?

Look on yard and groom website there are loads of positions advertised there.

I've had a look on yard and groom but all the good ones seem to be right down South (which would be ok if it was near good transport networks but I need to be able to get back to Scotland fairly easily as I have medical issues that sometimes require hospital treatment/ monitoring).

I'll keep looking though... The BHS site has suddenly gone a bit different and takes ages to load so it makes browsing the approved centres take ages!

Any industry folk got any suggestions?

newrider.com