A little help please, long reining.

Oh he is also 5 .... if that makes any difference LOL

the only difference is that it is more likely to be something completely new to him, so you need to take it step by step. Although some people long rein as part of the backing process.

Only long rein on the roads when you have long reind the pony a great deal and he knows what he is doing. Long reining on the road is not for the novice pony or driver.

Attachments

• Norseman-2.jpg
    Norseman-2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Frances' Dec Pics 022.jpg
    Frances' Dec Pics 022.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8327.jpg
    IMG_8327.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 8
Awww thank you :D
Well i think he will be doing it naked LOL, so i attach the clips off the lunge line actully ON TO the bit?
I know how i will go about it, ill lunge 1st then move to the side and just have a little play about:)
Oh know i would never dream about going on the road ...... LOL!!!!!!
WOW the vid is really good, horse looks very supple, thats what i want to achive.:D
Not sure if he has ever been Long reined, the girld bought him from ballinasloe horse sales over in Ireland, backed him, taughed him basic flat work and he was popping jumps, fillers, logs etc. Then i got him and just brought him on a bit more i suppose, so he could have had it no idea!
He's good though he picks things up REALLY fast he's a very clever little pony :D

x x x x x x

We didn't know if Daffy had been longreined, so we kitted him out, attached the clips to a cavasson rather than the bit, and had someone leading him, with me walking behind and giving the aids.

He picked it up very quickly, but he didn't like the white lines at all. Once I changed to red lunge lines he's absolutely fine. After that first session I just played about with it in the school, and gradually got the hang of things.

Longreining is all I do nowadays, I do it sometimes off the saddle but usually off the roller. The idea Im trying to get to grips with is if he freaks out just let go, LET GO :p. He tends to rush a little and he hates the rope over his back (great in this windy weather) but with someone confident on the ground he's better. We did an obstacle course the other day. It's like riding without the peril of falling :p.
I dont have any videos of Jack longreining, only a couple of little clips of Hector (who we think was broken to drive and took it all in his stride and had to be forced into a trot, unlike Jack who happily canters round with no encouragement at all). I will get some ones of Jack...
http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=632F6DB85021E3D4

Oh and I dont do nearly so much running as there is in Jen's videos. In fact I either walk a small circle in the middle or do a slightly faster walk when he's cantering. I also never longrein Jack from behind because he doesnt trust me enough yet - Im working slowly on putting myself in his blindspots for short peroids but I feel much happier at the side (esp since we have a roundpen!).

He picked it up very quickly, but he didn't like the white lines at all.
Jack's afraid of white lines too. He was very nervous when we first longreined him and jogged and grew to about 20hh and kept scooting forwards from the back line. Now he just does it without batting an eyelid.

xxx

Jack's afraid of white lines too. He was very nervous when we first longreined him and jogged and grew to about 20hh and kept scooting forwards from the back line. Now he just does it without batting an eyelid.

I had no choice but to change them, as he would canter on the spot and spook all over the place if he saw one. I figure it's because of his fear of leccy fencing, which is of course white. :rolleyes:

Thank you guys :)!
right i now know WHAT to do.
But i am still struggling where to attach every thing ...... i dont want to get it worng and hurt him or upset him or any thing:(!xxx

LOL thanx a lot xxxxxxxxxx

Have you got a lunge cavasson? Start with that or a headcollar on over your bridle. Clip the reins to the rings at the side (most headcollars have rings, even if they aren't meant for this!) and a rope underneath for someone to lead for you.

Once you have the jist and you know he's not too bothered, you can clip the lines to his bit and get down to some work. ;)

The way I do it is this -

Lipstrap from bit ring to bit ring loosely to stop the bit pulling through the mouth (dont always use this but probably should :eek:).

Spare stirrup leather from stirrup to stirrup (run down) under tummy to stop them flapping (if using a saddle).

Reins very tighly wound and put through throatlash.

Put one line through roller ring / stirrup, pull through and attach to bit between cheekpiece and rein.

Put buckle end of other line over back / saddle whilst still holding other rein and staying on same side. Let go of second rein over back and change sides, holding onto first rein still. Put second rein through ring / stirrup and attach to bit. Go back to original side. You now have both reins clipped on and are holding both on one side.

Start flicking the rope which is over his back, gradually easing it back over his quarters. When it flicks round his hindlegs move it around a little and let him get used to the feeling of it being there whilst still being in control by holding his first rein up near the bit.

Then it's a case of moving off and getting it going!

If he hates it round his back legs you can do some longreining with the second line over the saddle to get him used to the concept of what he's meant to be doing.

When you finish I walk up the lines a little, drop the back line completely, unhook the back line first whilst holding the other one, and pull it through the ring and drop it. Then I do the same to the front line and walk the horse forwards out of the lines, then go back for them afterwards. My instructor thinks it's important for them to not mind the lines moving on the ground so when he does it he leaves the line clipped to the bit an pulls the rope through the ring which means it touches the leg, moves on the ground and makes a funny noise. Im not brave enough for that yet :p.

Is that what you were wanting?

xxx

A good way to desensitise a horse that's worried about long lines round its hocks is to work with a single line on the off side. Start with the line on the horses back, work it back and let it drop down, if the horse wants to move away it can easily without leaving the handler's control. Just keep repeating and the horse will tend to become more accepting after a short while.

As for emergency stops it's very effective if you drop the outside rein and then step quickly towards the centre of the school, this will invariably bring the horse round onto a circle.

I've been taught to longline the IH / Richard Maxwell / NH type way, the emphasis is on body language and positioning and the lines generally run through stirrups attached to a saddle and secured under the horse by a third leather. For most horses additional impulsion is obtained by flicking the lines onto the side of the horse but if that's not enough a plastic bag on a stick might do the trick :D I'm too crap to confidently long line in a bit so I normally use a dually halter which is ideal for the job.

If you are wanting to long rein your horse closely make yourself some 'short long lines' about 12 foot long. That way you don't end up with handfuls of rein in loops which can numb your hands responses. I never use lines with handles on the ends. Instead I put a rubber martingale stop on the end of each rein they are very stiff to put on. If you get in to difficulties, they just come off. If you are not in difficulty they stop the ends of the reins running through your hands.

Get yourself a driving whip instead of a lunge whip. They are lighter and you don't have yards of thong to trip over. They are much easier to handle.

Get yourself a driving whip instead of a lunge whip. They are lighter and you don't have yards of thong to trip over. They are much easier to handle.
Do most people longrein with a stick then? I just lift my following hand to ask for an upwards transition, and slow my pace to ask for downwards ones. With Hec who was much lazier I used to flick the following line to ask him up and slow my body to ask him down.
With Jack if I lift my hand once he'll go up a gait, and if I lift and hold he'll go faster and faster until I drop it again and then he'll stay at that constant speed. He's very easy to longrein in that respect but I tend to get in a flap because he does everything much faster than Im used to!

xxx

Do most people longrein with a stick then?

I long rein with a rein contact as if I was riding (rather than lunging with 2 reins - which for me is a different style).

My horses are riding horses not driving horses - so are not used to a rein flick as an aid. They are used to rhymthic pressure from NH, so I use that ;)

Its about being consistent IMHO.

Think you've been given some pretty good answers!! Here is the effect it had on Aramis anyway, just a shame it wasnt as easy to get that in the saddle :p.
LOL Jen, and how often did you ride with your reins to your stirrups rather than your hands ??

thats ashame you missed 'A Stable Life' thats on 'Animal planet' because she did that with her stallion x

My horses are riding horses not driving horses - so are not used to a rein flick as an aid

They will be if the line flaps against their flanks where a leg would normally be, that's the idea anyway :)

Another bone of contention at times seems to be whether you should let the spare lines trail out behind you on the ground or whether you should carry them:D

Another bone of contention at times seems to be whether you should let the spare lines trail out behind you on the ground or whether you should carry them
Really? In my case it's trail them (and feel bad because they belong to my RI), but carry my white ones because I cant be bothered to wash them every time I use them and if they trail they end up with the last 4ft black!
Dont use my white ones since Hector though so no longer an issue ;)
xxx

They will be if the line flaps against their flanks where a leg would normally be, that's the idea anyway :)

Another bone of contention at times seems to be whether you should let the spare lines trail out behind you on the ground or whether you should carry them:D

Aha - but I have the reins coming over the back as well, so the whip just makes sense :p

Not saying the other is wrong - just explaining why I use a whip.

(That and I don't flap my legs ;) )

I don't trail the lines as mine are "joined" rather than separate. Plus I find if I need to turn e.g. for a serpentine it can all get a bit much if they are on the ground (when I have tried split lines and trailed them).

My horses are riding horses not driving horses - so are not used to a rein flick as an aid.

I agree. Apart from anything else using the rein as a forwards aid disrupts the contact regardless of whether you use the rein that's against the horse or the spare, which defeats the whole object of using them in the first place.]

I'll twirl the spare rope if I'm lunging and need more forwards than I'm getting from body language & voice aids, but I tend to do that for a change of routine or purely for exercise rather than schooling and as a result I don't use the bit or bridle.

newrider.com