UK
How do you start it off?
what effect does it have on the horse?
will it help the basic flat work?
What equipment do you need?
And any more info then please just add.

Thank you :D
x x x

At the risk of being predictable ... I bought the book ! The one by Jennie Lorriston-Clarke. It's good for the basics if you don't have anyone to show you.

I started with Rosie yesterday - first thing is to get the horse accustomed to ropes all round everywhere so you know if you get in a tangle, she's not going to panic. Next make sure the horse is well adjusted to scary obstacles etc. I've been doing this probably 18 months with Rosie, so I had a clear idea that she would be ok for me to start with the long-lining.

Next thing I made sure was in place, was a clear 'walk on' and 'halt' verbal cue. Do this by leading, obviously, but it's also better if you've varied the spot from which you're leading. For example, I can lead her from her hip, or from in front of her, etc etc. Next check that you can have her stand still while you walk all the way round her, including all the way behind. Check she's ok with 'changing eye' as you walk behind her.

Then just set off long-lining. I talked to Rosie all through it, hitched a couple of lunge lines to her halter, and through a surcingle, told her I was behind her, told her I had picked up the lines, and asked her to walk on. I think it would be easier if you had someone to lead her the first time, but I didn't. I just created energy from behind and released / relaxed it when she took a little step forward. She soon got the idea, and when she'd walked forward a step or two we stopped. Today, she was able to walk forward all around the paddock, and to turn gently. Take it really slowly.

I imagine people will be able to suggest some improvements to my start ... I haven't done it before so I'm just learning same as you. Perhaps we can start a little self-help group :D

OK. Well the first thing you would want to be certain of is that your horse is ok about the lines being around his legs and hind quarters. So check that out first.

One of the sneaky ways to start is to actually start off lunging with two reins, rather than actually long reining.

I long rein with a roller, with the lines going through D rings quite near the top - I just find it easier that way. But if you read Richard Maxwell's book or see him at work (he has a DVD out), he uses the outside line round behind the hocks.

I long rein at a "three quarter" position i.e. slightly behind and slightly to the inside of the horse. (This is when actually long reining, rather than lunging with 2 reins). I probably am closer to the horse than most people would be - you want to be close even to have control, but be out of the danger zone ;)

Start with something quite simple i.e. straight lines and walk-halt halt-walk.

Build up from there with turns - you will find you need to release with the outside rein rather than tighten the inside.

Hold the reins as if you were riding, and aim to have a similar feel.

I use voice commands as well - so they get a verbal half half "....and...." then their name (if there is more than one of you in the school, they need to know who you are talking to ;) ) "....Rosie..." and then the command "Walk On!"

I have a dressage whip held upright in the hand nearest the horse so I can just turn it down to tap their HQ gently if they don't respond.

You need to practice changing from side to side when you change rein if you long rein like this (and also changing the whip over).

Not everyone does it this way - I've just described what works for me.

Awww thank you SO so much :)
This has helped me alot :D

Right here is me being REALLY thick what actual equimpmet do i NEED? and has any one got any piccies.

Thankx so much every little helps:D

THANK YOU!!!
Do you think i should start off lunging.....BUT with TWO lunge line and mabey just go around him etc?.....he is bomb proof and does not mind things in and out of his legs,on his back etc, i could prod and poke until me heart was content :D LOL.
Say if i work on it what would it achive in the long run?

THANK YOU XXXXXXXX

I haven't got piccies - though I know Esther D posted some ages ago ?

My kit is:

bridle (w/o reins)
roller with D rings
long lines (see below)
long dressage whip

and comfy boots that I can "trot" in ;)

Lines: two options that I use

1) is a long set that have cord at the horse ends. This means they run easily through the D rings and I get a good release when I give with the reins. The part I hold is webbing. They are a joined pair and are miles long. Some people avoid this and have separate lines so neither rider nor horse can tread in the loop.
2) a short set of rope reins (again joined). This is for long reining the 12.2 Eriskay. They were made up for me by someone local. The hooks don't go through the roller I use on my 15.2, but they DO go through on the roller we use for the littlies.

I have one big rollers with Ds on. And one that is just the top part and you bung a normal girth on it to fit it to the horse.

Holy Cow cvb, are we twins ?

I did pick up the lunge whip today and patted her on the bum with it, and it helped.

Herbie's mummy ... I just used a regular halter, two nylon lunge-lines, and threaded them through the top rings of a surcingle / roler type thing as cvb describes. I used a halter because I though if I mess it up, that will be more forgiving than a bit. There's not much 'feel' that way, but I thought I could progress to working from the bit when I've got better at it myself. Not ideal really, trying to work it all out with a youngster.... that's why I'm just doing a very little bit at a time - literally a minute or two - just til she's made alittle bit of progress on yesterday, then lots of praise. Well, praise all the time, actually, cos it's quite anew thing for a horse to have you behind them and I want her to feel confident about it.

gotta go do horses in a minute :)

but a lot depends whether the horse is used to you "driving" from behind - and thats where starting from lunging can help, as you can gradually move further behind them and drive more. Plus it helps you get used to the lines without having to keep up with the horse !

Long reining has been a real help with our Eriskay pony as she needed to learn to do as she was told and go forward. I also use it with my appy mare who has DJD as an alternative to ridden work if I have less time or I think she needs some lighter work because of her hock.

I personally find it really highlights any issues I have with ridden work and gives me another way towork on them. So rider rein control in walk and halt, or in turns for example - you will find you have to be much more accurate, clearer with your instructions and intent, plan ahead and so on.

So it is just as much a good rider exercise as a good horse one :D

Thank you ALL :D
!!!
i have no roller on hand at the mo until i can buy one.....could i put a polly pad under a sursingle?. or is this not any good?

I am really struggling to figure out where every thing goes etc.....its really an explination for a blonde LOL *JOKE!*

Holy Cow cvb, are we twins ?

if so, you have my sympathy ;)

I did pick up the lunge whip today and patted her on the bum with it, and it helped.

Herbie's mummy ... I just used a regular halter, two nylon lunge-lines, and threaded them through the top rings of a surcingle / roler type thing as cvb describes. I used a halter because I though if I mess it up, that will be more forgiving than a bit. There's not much 'feel' that way, but I thought I could progress to working from the bit when I've got better at it myself. Not ideal really, trying to work it all out with a youngster.... that's why I'm just doing a very little bit at a time - literally a minute or two - just til she's made alittle bit of progress on yesterday, then lots of praise. Well, praise all the time, actually, cos it's quite anew thing for a horse to have you behind them and I want her to feel confident about it.

I started with a carrot stick cos I was doing parelli - but it is sooo heavy for using like this.

I have found I'm better with a bit than halter. But I think that has partly been the stage the pony is at as well. The long reining has helped a lot with explaining the rein aids to her.

long reining is great. It's really helped with my mare, making her more responsive, more supple. It's also been a great way to bond with her (I've only had her since September) and has helped her build up her trust in me. I've also found it great for working her back muscles.
As far as equipment goes, you need long reins, a roller (and a roller pad if you want), as well as a dressage whip. Make sure you get a roller with big enough rings through which to fit the clips on the long-reins- the rings on mine are just a tad too small and it drives me mad!
I have the Art of Long Reining by Sylvia Stanier, which is a very simple but quite useful introduction.
Oh, and take care the first time you try it... pielena is a five year old ex-racer, and the first time I long reined her she got so into it she decided to speed up... she broke into an enthusiastic canter, having a great time, with me running behind her, panting and puffing to keep up... All this under the eye of the YO, who was hysterical with laughter....:D :D :D

How do you start it off?
what effect does it have on the horse?
will it help the basic flat work?
What equipment do you need?
And any more info then please just add.

Thank you :D
x x x
Think you've been given some pretty good answers!! Here is the effect it had on Aramis anyway, just a shame it wasnt as easy to get that in the saddle :p.

Check out Sylvia Stanier's book 'The Art Of Long Reining' too (published by J A Allen) - lots of good info in there. :) I found it really helpful when I started long-reining.

Richard Maxwell's new DVD teaches it very simply from the beginning.

Dont buy his older ones, he says, as his ideas have changed somewhat in the last ten years.

I found the Stanier book confusing as it has so many different styles in. And wasnt the way I was taught.

Maxwell long lines the horse in its saddle and bridle, He ties the stirrup irons loosely underneath the horse, and runs the lines through the stirrups.
At the demo I went to he said this was easier than just draping the line over the horses back. He also told a friend of mine whom he helped with her problem pony, that the stirrups got the horse used to having legs / stirrups against its sides as one rode.

He doesnt use a whip. He says that is one more thing to get in the way. he wirls the end of the line to get movement, and how to do this is explained very clearly too.

i have no roller on hand at the mo until i can buy one.....could i put a polly pad under a sursingle?. or is this not any good?

Unless your surcingle has D rings on it to pass the reins through - no !
Some people long rein with a saddle on the horse, then run the lines through the stirrups. For extra stability you tie the stirrups together under the horse's tummy. I never found I got the release I wanted like this - i.e. when I gave the rein, it didn't give quickly at the bit :(

If you don't have a roller with D rings, just go naked ! (i.e. no roller at all) and the lines just go over the horse's back or round their back end.

newrider.com