A lump of eggs leaving a skinless circle?

Georgie B

Oct 26, 2000
Kent, UK
Visit site
Yesterday, I was checking Anya over an just by her mane was a cluster of what seemed to be egg like, cream/light brown in colour (about 20). When I picked these off, they left a skinless circle (about half the size of an old half penny). Does anyone know what this is please? Thank you in advance.

I don't know what this is, but it could be something nasty, like mites or lice.
I'd get the vet to check before it spreads or other horses catch it.

Ringworm

Get it checked over by a vet, and keep him out of contact with other horse's just incase it is contageous, whatever it is, just to be safe.

A possiblity of what it could be is ringworm. They seem to form little circles on the skin. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Maci :)

Thank you. I will just edit the above by saying that it leaves a furless circle - anyone else help? Lice would be sort of like ours so I don't think it could be that. Another girl at the yard said sometimes her horse gets them, but she couldn't remember what it was. I didn't save them either ... - perhaps it's some kind of bug that leaves eggs which hatch and feed off the horse - I don't know??

The sort of hairless ring you describe does sound a bit like ringworm although it is a fungal infection and not a real worm as such. Also I have heard that it is more commonly caught if horses graze with cattle which are susceptable to it. I would get it checked out but if it is ringworm it can be got rid of with a cream - I know because I had it once - humans get it too - and I was also asked if I had been near any cattle.

Good luck.

Louise

PS It was very itchy.

Thank you

I'm quite sure it's not ringworm as she is fully wormed and always has been and I had a friend who caught ringworm and it didn't look like that. If I find out what it is I will post. I will wash it though, as suggested above.

Ring worm is a fungal infection. Even Ivermectin based wormer will have no effect on ringwrom. Are you sure what you saw were eggs and not dried droplets of serum weeping from the hairless patch?

Conditions found in people will not always present themselves the same way in animals. If it is ringworm it is highly infectious and you stand a chance of getting it. Get a ringworm treatment from the vet anyway, or take a skin scraping to him to anylise.

I agree with everything that Wally has said - ringworm is a fungal problem. It is not prevented by regular worming. It is not a bad horse management problem. It can lie dormant in wood for a long time and if the horse happens to chew the wrong bit of wood - bingo.

Please be careful, If it is ringworm it can be caught by humans and other livestock. The cure is fairly simple just a wash from the vets.

Do get advice from the vet.

Regards

Vicki

Hi. Please get this checked by a vet. And keep him quaranteened incase of transfer to other horses!!!!! Hope all goes well. Wish my best to you and your horse!

newrider.com