A nasty injury..

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I had to get ale and a field friend in tonight as they were the last ones out.

I went to get the field buddy but noticed he seemed a bit upset. It was dark so before moving further I took a good look at him. He had part rubbed his flymask off but the stretchy fabric of it was pushing tight on his eyeball, he had actually partially closed his eyelid over the top of the fabric. unsure of what to do I decided to remove the flymask to relieve the pressure. His eye was extremely swollen and obviously very sore but I managed to remove it. He then walked in slightly happier but the eye has been really damaged. Vet says the cornea is lacerated.

Yuck it was awful, how very scary that a flymask could do that damage. It was one of the stretchy fabric ones but that pushing on his eyeball must of been very sore!!

He had a weepy eye that morning so the owners put it on to keep any flies away, that eye was fine by the afternoon and its the other eye he has injured

Looked really sore this morning, was bad enough when ale had a little scratch on his eye so really feeling for the owners. Hopefully looks worse than it is!

hope he improves with no long lasting effects. Its a good job you found him when you did! x

Mouse was still in his sweet-itch rug til Saturday, there were still a lot of flies and midges around us because of the river in all the fields, it's only come off now he's gone to his loan home and she has no midges there.

He had a fly mask this summer which seemed to fit fine but it took me a couple of days to realise it wasn't holding its shape and the material was dipping inwards and rubbing against his top eyelid - his eyelid was losing hair and some of his eyelashes were bent! Obviously took it off sharpish but I hate to think what it could have done had I not noticed when I did!

Reactions: MrA
Poor boy, good job you found him when you did and I hope he recovers well, as for flies, yup we still have them here too!

newrider.com