A question about farriers and losing a shoe..

CL66

Equine Dental Technician
Jul 26, 2007
My horse has lost a shoe, he was shod just over a week ago (last tues). Now, in the time that i've had him (over 2 years) he's never lost a shoe before. I recently changed farriers and he lost 2 just before he was due last time, and now lost another :rolleyes: Think i'll need to get him to ask him to change the way he's shod.

Anyway..i've arranged to ride tomorrow and my friend has booked the day off so we can go out together so have tried to contact farrier and left text and voicemail explaining urgency. Just wondering what the protocol is. If they lose a shoe so quickly should the farrier replace as a matter of urgency?? And i'm assuming i won't have to pay (even though i can't find the shoe..which is another annoying thing as i don't want a shoe and nail floating around in the field :eek:)

So, any views much appreciated..and what's the likelihood of him coming out in the morning (bearing in mind still not heard anythin :rolleyes:)

Thanks for reading!

:D

My farrier will come as soon as he can..but if it isn't an emergency..in that the hoof isn't damaged or the horse is not lame I wouldn't expect him to come straight away , usually within a couple of days. He has other customers to think of and may not be in my area. I expect this is the same with most farriers...also if it isn't an actual emergency I would be a little reluctant to pester him with too many messages and calls..;)
I wouldn't be too sure about you not having to pay for it to be replaced either.

Thanks for that, it's never happened before so i'm not sure how these things work but read on here about not paying for replacements in the first week or so, only if it's further down the line when they'd come loose anyway.

I'll see what happens, he's just got back to me and is squeezing me in at 11am tomorrow :cool:

That's good news about him getting to you so quickly. I haven't lost a shoe, but the others that use my farrier don't pay for replacements.

It's not necessarily the farrier's fault if a shoe gets pulled just after they've been shod. Especially in the mud we're having at the moment.
I'd pay - I'd rather have a shoe pulled off than it not coming off when my silly horse decides to stand on himself .... and him hurting himself rather badly... if they stood on the back of a shoe and the shoe stayed on they would probably pull muscles, tendons, ligaments instead.
same with mud. If shoes didn't come off easily enough horses would probably get hurt more often in the field at this time of year.

I wouldn't mind if he was being shod the same way as before, but new farrier shod him differently from before and he's being shod with the shoe coming past the hoof wall at the back if that makes sense, and so it's just crying out to be stood on and pulled off. He was never shod like that before and has only ever lost shoes the 2 times he's been shod by this guy, and never ever in the past with me even in the boggiest of fields.

I wouldn't mind if he was being shod the same way as before, but new farrier shod him differently from before and he's being shod with the shoe coming past the hoof wall at the back if that makes sense, and so it's just crying out to be stood on and pulled off. He was never shod like that before and has only ever lost shoes the 2 times he's been shod by this guy, and never ever in the past with me even in the boggiest of fields.

Now that in my mind is a different matter altogether. I would ask him why he shod your horse that way,what the benefits are etc.. and if you don't agree then you should definitely have a chat with him about removing the other one too and then shoeing your horse the way he was shod before.

One of mine has his shoes on like that - but it's for a reason. He doesn't actually pull shoes any more often than he did before he was shod this way, but there is more of a risk of them standing on the back of them. if you keep him shod like that you could consider overreach boots, but beware - they might rub.

newrider.com