A scare and some bit advice please

Cimmaron

Jul 22, 2010
Ayrshire, Scotland
On Saturday after a wonderful hack and about 100 yards from home, Milo decided to tank off with me. He spied another horse up the road in the distance, threw in a few bucks before taking off (felt like a full on gallop). :furious: It was so unexpected that I didn't have time to react (he is quick on his feet for such a big guy). I managed stay on, all the while trying to get him to slow down and praying that he did not slide on the road. :cry: I eventually got him onto the grass verge which slowed him and then into a driveway pointing into a hedge. Let him calm down before gingerly heading back towards the entrance to the yard.

Anyway, a few people at the yard have suggested that I try him in a gag bit for hacking, with the reins in the snaffle ring for schooling and move it down when I am out a hack.

This is the first time he has done anything like this and I don't want to go into overkill mode, although I was pretty scared when it happened because there was no way I could stop him and I think the only reason he did stop was because the other horse disappeared out of sight. I love to hack with him and just schooled him on Sunday even though it was a nice day because I was worried about something similar happening.

Have never used this type of bit before, so would be worried about it being a bit harsh (although I've been told I have soft hands). Could anyone offer any other suggestions please (a blindfold perhaps lol) or would a change of bit be a good idea? Need something to restore my confidence please. :redface:

If it was an unexpected, out of character outburst from him then I wouldn't rush to change his bit. Do you find him strong out on hacks otherwise?

I tend to agree, if he isnt known for this sort of thing to put him in a gag might be a bit much. How about a JC strap for the next few hacks (jesus christ) I've found they've worked well for me before - just knowing that I have something to "grab" should I need it:smile:

Another one who wouldn't recommend a bit change for a one off & anyway, to be brutally honest, if a big horse decides it isn't going to stop then no bit will make a difference.

If it happens again a useful hint is to try & get some bend in their neck as quickly as you can, then use that to help you stop. If needs be anchor one hand on the base of the neck & lift & cross the other one over the neck, that way they use their own strength against themselves & you're less likely to get hauled about. I find a cheeked bit useful as I needn't worry about it going through the mouth & the pressure of the cheek on the face also encourages him to bend ever so slightly, but that's just me. The other thing with big horses, more than smaller ones, is you need to be fast in your reactions because once they really get into their stride they're nigh on impossible to pull up - I reckon that if I can't stop Jim in the first 3-4 strides then I'm not going to stop him, on that basis it's best to know what you'll do so you don't waste time thinking.

Hopefully it's a one off & you'll never need any of the above!

Another one for not changing the bit.

As said if a horse wants to tank off it will the bit will not matter but it is how you deal with the issue that important.

When you go out next if you see another horse up ahead be quick in you reactions. Get him doing something. leg yeild (if safe) get a inside neck bend and then swop to outside neck bend just get him thinking about something else (also works on spooky horses) once you have his attention back try and take a turn away from the horse in front even if you go up a drive until the other horse has gone.

Thanks for all the advice.

I don't think I will change his bit. I will just need to be a bit more vigilant when we are out and be prepared for any eventuality. I think what worried me most was that the roads were damp and I was scared he would slip if I tried to turn him when he was going so fast. At least I managed to stay on. :wavespin:

Hopefully get someone to come out with me at the weekend for some moral support :bounce:

newrider.com