A Suggestion For New Members, Please Read

newforest

She's not fat, she's too short :-)
Mar 15, 2008
A field
We are a friendly group of people, feel free to join in by posting. You can if you like introduce yourself, add a comment or we have a like post feature.

Please do not randomly message a member to ask what could be an innocent question, but, by selecting someone without being a part of the forum, could be seen as advertising spam or offensive. The written word can read different to different people.

Enjoy the forum :)

Last edited:

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Wow people on here are suspicious. I'd just answer the question. Wouldn't even think twice of an ulterior motive for a question.

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
Feel like I'm missing something...

Some people may just use the site a bit like a search engine. They search their problem (for example perhaps searching a certain brand of rug to fit a cob) and look at the threads. Maybe they see someone has said they were going to try a weatherbeeta and so they ask "did the weatherbeeta fit?" They may just be looking for the answer to that question, they may not want to be a full member of the community and IMO that is absolutely fair enough.

I'm not entirely sure what sparked this post but it doesn't paint us as a very welcoming bunch. I can't see where the problem is and why someone would need to report a question rather than just choose to ignore or, in some form, answer it? Don't get me wrong I think it is much better for newbies to post a thread to introduce themselves but I don't see anything wrong with them asking questions?

Jane&Ziggy

Learning together!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
If it were questions about rugs fitting that would be absolutely fine. But personal questions or marketing-type questions, not!

I think we are quite welcoming, but it's easier to be welcoming when people follow usual etiquette.

newforest

She's not fat, she's too short :-)
Mar 15, 2008
A field
Wow people on here are suspicious. I'd just answer the question. Wouldn't even think twice of an ulterior motive for a question.
I believe that would depend on what you were asked about wouldn't it.
Their are other sites I think for that type of thing.

MrC

Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Well instead of the cryptic nature of this thread if it is marketing just post a thread saying you don't welcome marketing PMs.

Still honestly don't understand the need for this really? Maybe it's just all the vagueness but as Rubic stated doesn't paint a welcoming picture.

joosie

horse slave
Oct 28, 2004
France
Sorry, I don't really get it either. If someone sends me a message I don't want to see I just delete it! Annoying maybe, but gone in the click of a button, no harm done. As MrC said it is pointless being so cryptic - wouldn't it be more constructive to actually tell us what's going on? Assuming you are talking about a marketing or spam post, putting this thread entitled "A Suggestion For New Members" is pointless because a spammer is highly unlikely to be interested in opening and reading it. The "new members" who ARE drawn to reading this thread are likely to be the genuine ones, and seeing something so hostile when they have only just joined is hardly going to encourage them to participate!

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
If it were questions about rugs fitting that would be absolutely fine. But personal questions or marketing-type questions, not!

I think we are quite welcoming, but it's easier to be welcoming when people follow usual etiquette.
Oh marketing type things aren't on. That does annoy me. Personal questions - well that is just internet safety and I'd tell them to take a run and jump if I felt a question was too personal but then even long term users could ask questions of others that are too personal, I don't think that issue can only come from a new member. If it is something dodgy then telling them to post on the board won't stop them being dodgy (if someone had posted one intro thread or replied on one thread and then asked you a personal question would that really change how you felt about the question) same as it won't stop the annoying marketing/spam posts we sometimes get but I think these, unfortunately are just part and parcel of using the internet.

We are welcoming but if I were a newbie reading this post I would have a different idea TBH.

MrC

Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
As rubic stated not all people like to post publicly. The tone of your OP is very negative and off putting to read. As is the cryptic nature of it.

Not very welcoming at all to read NF. Maybe you were a bit miffed when you typed this up but I honestly can't see the need for the tone or the bold letters if it's to be encouraging. It reads as the opposite I'm afraid. Whether meant that way or not.

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
How is asking new members to join in off putting?
Like I said, perhaps not everyone wants to be a member of the community, they may come on to discuss a specific problem, get an answer to a question. They may or may not stick around. They may not want to get to know everyone. They may not want everyone to know about them. I don't see anything wrong with people coming on for that purpose, I don't think every member must "join in" in that sense.

Your post just didn't sound particularly encouraging, it read more like you'd be annoyed and report them if they didn't do things "properly".

Yes it is nice and helpful if people post an intro, say hello etc but I don't think it should be a necessity or that people should feel they need to be an active member in order to get advice if that is all they want from here.

joosie

horse slave
Oct 28, 2004
France
How is asking new members to join in off putting?
Because of the way you said it? There are plenty of friendly and positive ways to encourage new members to start posting - I don't read this as a friendly, positive or encouraging thread at all! "Let me enlighten you" sounds rude for a start. Suggesting people should join in is fine, but the vast majority of people who join forums join with the intention of participating at some point, why should they need to be "enlightened"? Why imply that joining in should be in the forum RULES? - what is wrong with just wanting to read stuff?

ETA - crossposted with Rubic!

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
Hi I am new member on here and I would like some advice about feather mites but don’t know to start a chat. Can u help pls
Hi Spanner!

Try posting a new thread in the “horse care” forum... there are some super helpful people here. As long as you’re friendly, say thanks, and are nice, people will be nice back. :)