A Tribute to Guinness

Whatanejit

Jan 4, 2006
Internet
Well after 13 years of fun and friendship with my dog Guinness he was sadly put to sleep this morning at 0940hrs.
mecry-1.gif

GuinnessSun.png

We rescued Guinness from Battersea Dogs Home in May 1993 when he was 6 months old.

He had been given to the home because his previous family had thought him too destructive. What 6 month old pup isn't?

But yes they were absolutely right!

Fortunately, we had just moved in to our first house which hadn't been decorated since the early 70s and had been occupied by students for a few years.

OH and I could afford the mortgage but that was it so taking on two young dogs at that time meant that eating the wall paper, skirting board, carpet etc really wasn't too much of a problem.

He even taught OH and I to tidy up the kitchen because if we left anything at all on the work surface he would eat it or trail it onto the floor in search of food!

He was sooo greedy that he even ate half a box of uncle ben's rice and a 1/4 packet of plain flour one day when we were at work.

His tummy was like a rock when we got home and he was very agitated. We headed to Wales on holiday the next day when he had an episode of projectile diarhoea as we were driving down the M4 all over the boot and the other dog!

I'll never forget that one.

I'll also never forget his need for cuddles and scratches - he was the most cuddly, huggable dog I have ever known.

Guinnesbankholiday.png

13 years is a long time and with a diagnosis of hip dysplagia from when he was 1 year old he did well to last that long.

He got to meet Cooper once but I had been planning my animal family photograph but never did get it. I'll have to see what I can do with Photoshop sometime.

Thanks for reading folks. I couldn't let him go without sharing his life with a few thousand other animal lovers on NR.

smilierip.gif
Guinness

Oh thats so sad, it sounds like he had a wonderful life with you though. xxx

How fortunate Guinness was to be rescued from Battersea by you and OH. Sounds like you have many wonderful memories.

RIP Guinness

RIP Guinness

it makes me sad as I know that i'm going to be going through this in the not so distant future with my dog Sam, he's 14 and we also rescued him from Battersea as a 7 month old pup.

We've never had a bad day with him, he's never chewed or done anything bad, but he can barely see, only hears when he wants to:D but is now at the stage where he can barely control himself:( and has very unsteady legs, but I want to have one more christmas with him before that alwful decision has to be made.

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a lucky dog that you gave him such a wonderful life, and what lucky people that you had this special dog to love. He sounds wonderful and I'm sure he's running free and happy in that pack of great dogs that have gone before him. Take care.

smiliethanks.gif
guys - your kind words help enormously.

Our other dog is getting lots of cuddles from us at the mo and we are off to see Cooper this afternoon to get some Cooper healing vibes - can't beat them.

We will truly miss the old boy - the end of an era OH says.

HH11 sounds like we are in the same situation (ish). We had hoped to give Guinness his last Irish Christmas - we have been bringing him to my parents there for 12 years. I really don't think he would have survived the car journey, though.

He really suffered last night until he went unconscious early morning. It is the first time I have watched a pet being euthanased and it truly was peaceful, painless and dignified. He got petted and kissed the whole time.

OH and I of course were in bits:eek:

You'll find the strength for him when the time is right.

(hugs)

Dee just has to add my sympathy to you we lost our german shepard sum time ago he went peacefully thanks to the vet.

healing vibs to cooper.

thy ro have a Happy Christmas dirnk a galss of the Black Stuff to him.and have a good old Irish wake.

If you happen to be in the Killorglin ares at all call in.

RIP Guiness.
I really feel for you Whatanejit, I lost my dog in March of this year and it really does feel like you have been ripped apart. Keep yourself busy with your other dog, its amazing how empty the house seems once you have lost a dog isnt it. Sending you lots of hugs on this sad day :(

newrider.com