A trio of tups

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
We appear to have acquired 3 texel tups....have managed to get them away from my own sheep, The Big Yin, as she is a girl.....so they are on the yard munching happily.....

I was just going to ask if the acquisition was intentional or not :) hopefully they haven't caused too much kerfuffle with your lot

Reactions: Huggy
Are texels the meat sheep with the broad faces that look a bit like a pig's face? Or am I thinking of something else?

I think texels are softies aren't they? There used to be a field of them near our old house, they are very woollen and clean looking (unlike the sheep on the farm where we lived, they were grey looking)

Glad you got them back home and they were lucky boys landing at you b&b for sure.
We've 4 texel tups in with our horses just now, they are ugly, but so sweet natured and I've very quickly developed a soft spot for them, they come over every morning for a little scratch now.

they tend to dye them different colours to enhance them, clip their top line off to show their shape etc you often see fields of orange or yellow sheep, sometimes pink. this one came from the recent Kelso tup sales so was prepared to sell
Thanks for the info, I have never seen any dyed ones around here, but would love to see a field of orange, yellow of pink sheep!

Thanks for the info, I have never seen any dyed ones around here, but would love to see a field of orange, yellow of pink sheep!

It's a new one on me too, but yes it would be a sight to behold! We only have a fairly scraggy kind of small sheep round us. I think they must be cross breds as there's no particular pattern to their design, mainly white, a few black or chocolate, some white faces, some black, some speckled etc. There always seem to be a lot of lame ones :(

It's a new one on me too, but yes it would be a sight to behold! We only have a fairly scraggy kind of small sheep round us. I think they must be cross breds as there's no particular pattern to their design, mainly white, a few black or chocolate, some white faces, some black, some speckled etc. There always seem to be a lot of lame ones :(

Ah yes, lame ones. Such a shame. I lived in the middle of a sheep farm for ten years. Horrible experience, watching them be left like that. I can only hope that the person responsible gets their just desserts in another life. I hated it in the end and got sick of turning the other way. Thankfully their land was crossed by walkers. And sometimes walkers do report things they see.

newrider.com