A visit to Redwings Fritton

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I have been staying with my best friend in Suffolk for a couple of days. I realised we were only 45 minutes from one of the Redwings sanctuaries, so we nipped up there yesterday morning to visit the horses.

Liz can't go near them - she is allergic to everything with fur - but I had a fantastic time meeting them and scratching anyone who wanted, particularly their resident Shires, Prince and Gemma.

It is free to get in to Redwings, and the place was full of people with children who couldn't believe their luck at getting so close to horses who wanted to talk to them and (my personal favourites) granddads who had waited 80 years for the chance to scratch a Shire horse on the girth.

All the horses live out with their friends in big paddocks, and their stories are up in panels on the fences. Some of them bring tears to your eyes. The horses at the sanctuaries are the ones who for one reason or another can't be rehomed with families to work, so their tales can be fairly harrowing. But they all seem happy now.

Other visitors found out within 2 minutes that I knew something about horses and fired questions at me until I was hoarse (ha ha). What a great place!

Here is me with Prince (18.2) and Gemma (17.3) and with Prince, giving it all I've got on the girth. He imitated a giraffe for most of the time, but when the picture was taken he was politely trying to groom me back. I had horse lip prints on my t shirt for the rest of the day.

Attachments

• 1171310_649377208405877_1314589448_o.jpg
    1171310_649377208405877_1314589448_o.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 1184631_649376351739296_2134676236_o.jpg
    1184631_649376351739296_2134676236_o.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 31
Yes its a lovely place..!

When my pony died we donated his rugs to them..

Lucky horses saved from a miserable life..

Its free, now that is a refreshing change.

They do put some onto a rehoming scheme, I know of two who I hope will be going on it to be rehomed.

Yes, they rehome all that they can to loan homes. That's why the ones at their centres fall into two categories:

(1) Horses and ponies (and donkeys and mules) who require special care so can't responsibly be rehomed - severe laminitics, horses with broken hips, etc

(2) Horses and ponies (and donkeys and mules) who are simply wonderful with the public! Prince would fall into this category.

Right by the entrance was a small pen with two tiny miniatures in, both fast asleep - outside when we arrived and in their shelter when we left. They had been in a distant paddock to start with but were now being introduced to visitors en masse. They had a sign on their pen: "Please don't be loud near us. We are very shy." :wub:

Thanks Jane - we are going to Norfolk first - The idea is to visit our childhood haunts. So may not be doing horses this trip. But will bear in mind.

newrider.com