A week off (oh the possibilities)...

misty

Oct 6, 2016
Hi all,
It's 2 minutes past one on what I'm counting as the first day of my week off (even though it's bank holiday and I'd have been off anyway). I'd hoped to line up some horses to go and see this week but with it being the wrong time of year etc, it seems fairly slim pickings so I've got a week stretching ahead of me to have another good look.

Also, my riding instructor is away this week which means no conventional riding lesson. Soo.... I'm thinking, what shall I do instead? Find a good hacking centre and go for a nice hack? Find another riding centre and have a one off lesson to see? Ring around some trekking centres and see if they might have any horses available to buy and then go there for a hack and have a look?

Thought of you @CharliesAngel when I saw that one of my, fairly, local (about an hour away) trekking centres, use mainly highland ponies and also sell them (and possibly breed them by the looks)! They say on their website to get in touch and ask if there are any for sale but I chickened out in case I looked like I had a stupid low budget - still waiting for money back from dealership.

Anyhow, thoughts and ideas everyone? I'm feeling positive about this week's potential!
xx

I'd call the centre anyway. It never hurts to ask, and you don't have to tell them how much you have to spend to start with! Highlands... mmmm!

Reactions: misty
Sounds like a good way to spend a week off :) my only caution with trekking centre ponies would be make sure you try them extensively alone, they are often used to following nose to tail and following the horse in front through transitions etc, I tried one when helping a friend horse hunting, he appeared foot perfect in company but alone he screamed a lot, napped badly and didn't actually have any comprehension of aids, and in the school, well it was like sitting on a 4 year old for the first time (he was 9) :rolleyes:

Reactions: lauren123 and misty
I rode at an RS which did buy ponies from trecking centres. No private ownership - they came from one group yard into another similar. They do need teaching to school but I wouldnt write them off. My experience of RS horses is that horses learn very fast and tho they come with a history they are adaptable.The worst problems I have seen is that a pony used to being ridden in file with minimal cues from its child rider may throw a strop if hacked on the bit by an officious professional adult rider. If you are a relaxed novice rider and know how to teach horses things (or can learn from videos etc on line) dont rule them out. A trecking centre accustoms the ponies to being ridden by a great many different riders and staying calm out in the open and in company. Then they may be ready to be sold on and to complete their education. And that is a business for some trecking centres. It may be better for the ponies too, to serve a few years for trecking and then to have a different life.

yaaay! Enjoy your week off and yes , call them back even if its just to go and see the type/stamp of the ponies and how you feel on a 14.2hh highland!

I have to disagree on this one with skib. Horses that have been used in trekking centres are rarely ready to go and continue their education and be solo hackers. Yes they need further education but no, it doesn't come easily. Once a horse is established riding out in a group, nose to tail it doesnt come easily to move away from that and certainly isnt something for a novice/nervous rider to undertake. Horses learn quickly yes, but, they have to learn independence and confidence to go on their own, early on as youngsters.

Echo what @Jessey and @CharliesAngel said about trekking horses I'd worry what they'd be like out on their own. I thought it would be a good time to sell. If I were you I'd look through all potential sale ads hopefully maybe at least one suitable to try. Could go to the trekking centre for a hacking to see what you think of highland ponies even if not to buy one from there.

What area are you again? I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks everyone! Mixed feelings about trekking horse then. Perhaps I'll just book and enjoy a trek and leave it there. Also can see size on a highland type.

Thanks @Lissie . It probably is a good time to sell but not a good time to buy because it seems that there are lots of fair weather people out looking now the sun is out. They keep jumping on my wanted adds (grrr). I'm north east area - thanks so much.

I wouldnt nec discount trekking centre ponies, especially if they bring them on to sell they may take them out alone and school them for exactly that reason, it was more a word of warning for a common problem with them (and often RS ponies are the same but with schoolimg at least) so that you go knowing what to look for :)
Its a shame you're so far away I've seen several ads for novice ponies at reasonable prices around here lately.

Thanks @Jessey I feel like it's this area. I've had messages from people in London and Essex and Norwich and northern Scotland with horses that look and sound great. But there's never anything round here. A couple of times I've thought I'll just go further away but it's transport then because if I have to factor in transport from miles away, then It's going to reduce my budget. And I'm already reduced because I'm still waiting for 1.5k back from the dealership. So it's just getting eaten and eaten away at.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com