Aaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that in places where horses (and other draught animals) REALLY work, the small-scale technology groups and their advisors - and there are many, such as ATNESA, The Edinburgh University Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine(I highly recommend their on-line journal Draught Animal News) and others in France, India, Germany and Africa, not forgetting the International section of our own Donkey Sanctuary, work on improvements to traditional harness, vehicles and implements, not on revolutionary 'new technology'. It is not that they are against revolutionary new technology - far from it, as can be seen by the solar panels which provide electricity for the computers and satellite internet access used by the Camel Library in Kenya, water technology and the like - but that, in the main, traditional designs, with additions, subtractions and tweaks which are necessitated or enabled by modern materials, practices or regulations, have proven and still prove to be the most successful in so many different ways.

I have no doubt that you found the developer of the saddle chariot to be a charming fellow. However, I am afraid that the claim he makes on his site (and I quote)
I only need three measurements ...From this info I can send you a full collar harness that will fit perfectly.
is worrying to say the least, and leads me to wonder if this harness is made out of ... ELASTIC?:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
How much driving have you done with an ordinary vehicle?

Enough. I haven't driven for years and never driven for anything other than pleasure.

Not really. As seen in the clip, the harness then becomes a problem.

I stand bywhat I say, I would still rather a loose horse than a loose horse with a trap attached.

I have no doubt that you found the developer of the saddle chariot to be a charming fellow. However, I am afraid that the claim he makes on his site (and I quote)

is worrying to say the least, and leads me to wonder if this harness is made out of ... ELASTIC?:D:D:D:D

Again, after meeting the guy behind it and seeing the harness and chariot in action, would highly recommend it to anyone and use it myself :D

Plain sickening to watch :eek: Someone I knew had a driving accident years ago the horse was hit by two cars, they never knew the reason why she just bolted. After seeing that I to would be really frightened to learn driving however in my old age getting scared to ride any more to LOL!:eek:

I had somthing I little bit similar happen to me last year! Well I was in an outdoor school with my sec a, and I was long reining him and he was dragging a builders bag from his traces (the guy helping me break him in was leading him from a head collar too). He was quite happily walking along untill a helicoper flew over us and spooked him.
He broke away and bolted. I thought to wait untill he calmed down but he jumped out of the school (bag an' all over a 4ft fence!) into the next field, he then preceded to chase 4 tb's around the field like a maniac, they were terrified of him but he just wanted to be with them (herd instinct I suppose),

Then he jumped into the next field and started chasing after the rest of the liverys on the yard around a 15 acre field
I meanwhile am running around trying to keep up with him watching this little pony terrarising a 15 strong herd, with what looks like a mini hot air ballon dragging behind him :eek::eek:

Then all I could do was sit back and watch (and cry) 15 horses plowing through a . . . . . wait for it . . . . . barbed wire fence. The first hit the fence and all the others just plowed over the top of her. She had to be cut out and later I held her for the vet to stitch her up. If the cut had been 2 inches lower it would have sliced the jugular.

Finaly people arrived to help and took all the horses inside , and we seperated my pony, who had now been running for an hour and a half into a field by himself, since it was getting dark a couple of the guys at the yard tried roping him in a corner but he was having NONE OF IT. Then finaly an hour later he just stopped running and stood quietly for one of the girls to catch him and remove the bag.

Fighting the hysterics I walked him inside to access the damage and he didnt have a single scratch on him, he hadnt even broken a sweat! He was just standing in his stable munching his hay like nothing had happened!
Of course we had 6 months of hard work getting him to walk past a builders bag.

I can honestly say that was one of the most traumatising days OF MY LIFE. Thank god hes such a forgiving little pony and I have a VERY understanding YO. and I just noticed my post has turned into a ranting vent :rolleyes: Sorry about that! Honestly you couldnt make it up!

PS we decided maybe driving wasnt my ponies forte. So he's now sold to a lady with two little girls and he is the loveliest little kids pony. He would climb into a builders bag if he thought it would please them :p

Poor thing, nobody is going to catch it while so much is going on.

I dispare at the huma race.........

Quote "IMO if you feel you need to have a saddle chariot for safety then you probably need some decent lessons instead. One day these things will be banned and they'll all be left sitting gathering dust in garages, no matter how nice a guy the designer is."
Good point about the lessons, although I am not sure I would use the word "Decent". I cannot imagine have an indecent lesson in regards to driving a horse/pony. I think anyone who want to drive should indeed take lessons from someone with experience. I am a little confused as to why anyone should "ban" a Saddlechariot.

As to "I have no doubt that you found the developer of the saddle chariot to be a charming fellow. However, I am afraid that the claim he makes on his site (and I quote)
Quote: I only need three measurements ...From this info I can send you a full collar harness that will fit perfectly." is worrying to say the least, and leads me to wonder if this harness is made out of ... ELASTIC?
What would be so wrong if it is? Lots of cloths have elastic to make them fit, so why shouldn't harness be.
I do wonder if people who make negative comments about Saddlechariots have looked at them. I must say what I have seem they look pretty impressive.

Impressive! Of course in years gone by it was not uncommon to see very teams hauling enormous loads, for example around here I believe it was not unheard of to move complete windmills from one site to another.

Quote "IMO if you feel you need to have a saddle chariot for safety then you probably need some decent lessons instead. One day these things will be banned and they'll all be left sitting gathering dust in garages, no matter how nice a guy the designer is."
Good point about the lessons, although I am not sure I would use the word "Decent". I cannot imagine have an indecent lesson in regards to driving a horse/pony. I think anyone who want to drive should indeed take lessons from someone with experience. I am a little confused as to why anyone should "ban" a Saddlechariot.

There is a huge difference in the standards of teaching up and down the country - by decent lessons I mean with a suitably experienced/qualified trainer, someone who has read the book and wears the t-shirt, not someone who has just looked at the pictures :D.
As for banning the chariots - I feel that driving on your own should be outlawed and the HSE will see to that through time. Thus the single person death traps - sulkies and exercise carts etc - that we see hurtling up and down our roads will be gradually phased out.
Driving any horse drawn vehicle needs two people for safety.

Wally Brilliant, elastic harness, I have heard it all now!
I'm so pleased you see the value of elastic in regards to any equipment used by mankind in regards to horses. As we learn more, we are able to make our saddles, bridles and harness better for both horse and rider/driver.
Some very good elastic girths are now on the market and this morning I found several other things, for instance one web site stated this,

"We offer a variety of products that contain elastic to soften the connection between horse and rider. Leather backing always limits the stretch of elastic allowing the rider normal control but with a softer feel.
The Bridging Effect
The elastic bridges the connection between the horse's mouth and the rider's hand. The 'give' in the rein encourages relaxation, softening and accepting of the bit."

There was quite a bit more but I'm not sure I should paste the web site address here as I don't quite know the rules on this sort of thing and New Rider.
So using elastic in harness may be quite new, but it does seem to be accepted by many as a very good idea, other wise how could theses companies afford to market them?
As far as lessons go I do agree there. In any form of horse handling one needs to learn from a person who is both a good teacher and properly trained. Therefore unless one knows someone personally, it is best to go by the accepted qualifications. Last night I found a utube clip where Prince Philip stated that he taught himself to drive. No comment.

"zoonie As for banning the chariots - I feel that driving on your own should be outlawed and the HSE will see to that through time. Thus the single person death traps - sulkies and exercise carts etc - that we see hurtling up and down our roads will be gradually phased out.
Driving any horse drawn vehicle needs two people for safety."

As to weather single driven vehicles will be banned, if you really feel that strongly about it, I suggest you contact the relevant bodies and see that they are. That could clear up a lot of issues, as they would then do an in depth study on these type of vehicles, and decide once and for all what is and isn't safe. I would be very pleased to hear how you get on.

I am just wondering which parts of the harness is elsticated?

As to weather single driven vehicles will be banned, if you really feel that strongly about it, I suggest you contact the relevant bodies and see that they are. That could clear up a lot of issues, as they would then do an in depth study on these type of vehicles, and decide once and for all what is and isn't safe. I would be very pleased to hear how you get on.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I don't feel that strongly - it's just my opinion. The only driving I feel strongly about is that which takes place with my horses and ponies or from my yard. I can try to advise others based on my extensive equestrian experience, however it is up to them whether they take my advice or not - I don't lose any sleep over it. And as for the 'relevant bodies' - they advise, they can only make rules during competitions.
Prince Philip did indeed teach himself to drive, however he was an accomplished horseman before he took up driving and I would bet my last fiver that he never ever went our on his own! (I wonder what he would think about the Saddle Chariots! :D)

Regarding elastic beng used in harness - it may have its uses in the ridden world, I have girths with elastic inserts and I have seen the reins with the elastic bridge (a training aid) and the Harbridge training aid also uses elastic. I don't think it's acceptable to use it as an excuse for lazy harness fitting.

As an after thought - what makes these chariots any safer than regular style carriages when it comes to driving out into traffic, or stopping to open and pass through a gate? None of these things should be done on your own, if you want to be safe, if you love and respect your pony.

HRH Phillip I don't think taught himself, his mews is full of coachmen who would have taught him how to drive safely from the word go. Anne was driving as a kid.

You don't think HM Q would have allowed him to mess up any of her carriage horses do you? ;) :D :D

If I had a SC there is nothing I would really change in my every day driving safety routine. ......but lots I would add! It's the idea that is put forward, that you don;t need to pay any attention to everyday driving safety that really worries me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com