Aargh! Jack Has Had colic Again

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
The incison has turned into a few abcesses and since he was footloose with last vet, he was given a small sedative.

Result spasmodic colic, myself and few friends stayed with him walking him out, trying to tell him to think of a nice soft poop that he really wants to get rid of.

I told him it was a mild spasmodic colic and throwing himself on the floor and rolling around and panting like a dog really didn't help poor mummy.

He will not be sedated ever again for anything or anyone.

Was it definitely the sedative that caused it?? Sorry just curious as I never knew sedatives caused spasmodic colic:confused:

My lad has had it twice (yes something else the delicate flower is prone to:rolleyes:),although he only had it mildly,sounds like poor Jack was in a much worse way:(

I guess the problem is though that sometimes sedatives might be necessary to get something done as stress free and safely as possible,is there any way the vets could look at other sedative options or a lesser dose??

Hope he's feeling better now,and that can still treat his abcesses successfully,will be holding a good thought for you both.

Oh no, I'm so sorry, you must have been terrified. Is he ok now?

It may or may not have been the sedative, what does your vet think? Maybe the stress of the last vet visit upset him more than you realised? Also I was told that mild colicky attacks aren't that unusual following colic surgery (that's not to say you shouldn't take it seriously, though I know you would). Having said that it may not be the sedative I've found that Jim is far more sensitive to a lot of drugs following his surgery, we have to be very careful what he gets because he throws some weird reactions nowadays.

(((Hugs))) for you & get well vibes to Jack. Plus a stern talking to for upsetting his mum!

Your Jack certainly likes to keep you on your toes doesn't he?? Bet your wondering when you will actually get some stress free horsey time? Healing vibes on there way.:wink:

The vet is thinking it was the sedative, possibly just too much as he's on a course of antibiotics and bute to clear the abcesses.

However it was mild and Jack on coming round after feeling tad dopey must have panicked. He is extremely sensitive and sometimes neighs to tell me he's having a wee!

I was more worried this time than when he was really ill, i was in shock then.

(((Hugs))) for you, Jack doesn't need them from me 'cos he's got you.

I'm glad he's ok now & that it was just a mild attack.

one of mine colicked once after being sedated, the vet thought it was due to that as it 'slows' the system down which for a delicate tummy isnt always the best. The vet told me it was rare though

Update

If it's available to be had Jack will experience it.

It is from Peritoneal tap that i have the infection/abcesses. This is the third time of antibiotic treatment, this time with penicillin(sp) to give it a shove, no change.:(

Does anyone know anything about jugular thrombosis?:(

Does anyone know what i'm doing because i am questioning my decision. How many things that go wrong do you treat, keep on treating, keep on hoping.

He was having a bright and good day today though.

Talk to your vet hun, explain to them that you're worried, scared & not sure what to do for the best. Sometimes they assume we know more than we do, are coping better than we are, and you need to let them knowthis isn't the case.

I ended up in floods of tears one night last winter as I had the vet out for yet another low level colic. I was literally sat in the middle of the indoor school crying & wheezing (never have my asthma inhaler to hand when I need it) with Jim stood guard over me while he was hunched up with colic. A fine pair we made! The vet managed to half examine him - he's very iffy with vets now so some stuff is a no-no - & I managed to get some oral drugs down him as he wasn't bad enough to risk inject him. Then we had a long chat. She explained that no matter what the hospital say about weeks of recovery in her experience it takes a lot longer than that, that she would expect him to be more vulnerable to infections etc for at least a year & that his increased sensitivity to drugs wasn't unusual either. A nuisance, but not unusual. Oddly enough just knowing that made me feel better - I'd thought something was still wrong with him, that he wasn't going to get better, everything I'd put him through had been for nothing and now I realised that this was still part of recovery & I wasn't being cruel & dragging things out for my benefit.

Talk to them, they aren't psychic. My vet is lovely but she didn't realise until that night just how worried I was, she assumed I knew what she knew.

If you want to talk you can call me, you do know that, don't you?

Gosh you two are really going thro' it.

Carthorse has been there and what she says makes 100% sense. Not just
with Vets, Doctors are as bad. They speak to you one minute as though
you know nothing and the next in Vet/Doctor jargon expecting that you
understand everything:wink:

Speak to your Vet, make a list of your questions and worries and ask him/her
outright so that they can give you the information and hopefully allay your
fears and worries.

Hugs for you and Jack xxxxxx

The abcesses should clear up in a few weeks, they've been saying that for the past 6 weeks. It is down to Jack now as they can't really do anymore for him.

He will live with the blood clots, i'd like to know more about this, risks involved etc.

I'm to carry on as we are and allow him more grazing. Getting him to move more will help the swelling as well.

I don't know if him charging round the school was part of their thinking but he's had no contact with another horse all this time. The horse he was introduced to is "the quiet calm laid back sort", it was Jack that took off first! I had let him loose in the school earlier and couldn't get him to unstick to me.

There was a lot of wind which i took to be a good healthy gut, his eyes looked alive again, he was not the depressed, lonely little chap he had turned into.

It was good to watch him be a pony, though terrified of the "FIRST ROLL!"

newrider.com