Abandoned Foal

Please, if anyone knows anything about this, contact Redwings - details on the link. Poor little mite, and his poor mum.:cry: But what an amazing and sensitive police horse! Hope he gets an extra big haynet tonight.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2012-05-17/abandoned-foal-saved-by-police-horse/

I read the article about this on HHO. Its so sad :(. I am sure the mare (if she is still alive) is pining for her little one :(.

Well done to the police man for noticing his gelding was feeling edgy & not right. Hoping the little foalie is ok

Poor foal. so will it be able to survive? It's not getting any colostrum to start off with. :(

They are feeding him from a bottle every two hours, and Redwings is a fantastic sanctuary for horses and donks. Their site says he is getting stronger so fingers crossed. This is the second abandoned foal which has come into Redwings in the last two weeks - the other one, Gin, was found a foster mummy, so maybe they will find one for Dodger.
Poor mare though, she must be desperate.:cry:

Sometimes a mare will reject a foal and may not be pining or showing any signs she's had one. If she's not been checked regularly.

Sometimes a mare will reject a foal and may not be pining or showing any signs she's had one. If she's not been checked regularly.

This....and I can bet I know where he was found too. ;) A 'certain sector of society' used to tether their coloured mares on the common opposite the yard I was on. One day, I had to hit the brakes on the way to the yard, when a little coloured foal tottered into the road. His mum was tethered with her chain within a few feet of the edge of the road. She'd foaled, right near the edge of the road, and foalie was tottering around near her, oblivious to the road, poor soul. I reported that one, as I was sure he'd be hit before long. The ILPH contacted the owners and the mare was moved to another tether point. More than once, mares foaled on the common and the owners had no clue they were even in foal. So, as Wally said, if she foaled without the owner's knowledge, she rejected it, and they moved her away, it's possible they didn't even know the poor chap existed. :(

On the other hand....if he was abandoned....shame on the owner. :(

Hope he'll be OK now.

newrider.com