Abbot Davies training aid

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
Has anyone ever used one of these before? We have 2 at our yard, and looking at them in action they look like a glorified set of draw reins. Someone recommended I put Stumps in one for a brief period of time, just to start 'bringing her round'.

I'm a bit wary of using gadgets as a 'quick fix' to something which could be resolved with proper schooling so just wanted your opinions first.

Oh, this proper schooling will have to be done by someone else as I just can't seem to get her to 'work properly' no matter what I do.

Appreciate the opinons.

I have an abbot davis. Depending on how it it used it can be very benificial. In it's easiest position it is like glorified side reins. The one thing that i like about them is that there is quite a bit of variation there to play with. I would recommend though that you use side reins first, I only use the abbot davis when my horses are working into at least a semi-contact.

Remember it killed him, his own invention killed Abbot Davis. A horse he put it on took exception to it.

Another gadget (and as Wally has pointed out Peter Abbott-Davies was killed by a horse wearing it!). I'd vote for schooling even if it is by someone else rather than a quick fix with a gadget! Not many of these gadgets are actually beneficial especially if not used absolutely correctly. You can always tell a horse that's been 'draw reined' into an outline for example!

newrider.com