Absent/corner-cutting owners

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
:(

'liveries' (I use the term loosely!) have several horses on the yard, including a Shetland. they leave the YO to loan out the bigger ponies to earn their keep, they argue over each wormer they need to buy, they don't help with ragworting etc. and they're hardly ever there, anyway. if they are, they put on a big 'I love my pony' show - my 'favourite' kind of people ...not.

YO makes sure the Shetland (not really broken, they don't do anything with her) comes in the paddock for hay during winter and arranges for her feet to be done once in a while. we're a DIY yard with 30 horses, its owners responsibility to check their horses properly. YO will keep an eye for obvious problems and call vet if needed ...

Shetland appeared ok on the whole, not dropped weight, eating her hay etc.

up until a few days ago when YO found her not eating and looking 'off'.

vet was called - poor mare has a massive infection in her mouth as idiot owners never got the dentist out for her. teeth so sharp they dug in everywhere etc. (she had a mouth abscess a few years back which they failed to treat properly - they couldn't be bothered with the antibiotics after two sachets).

the infection was/is so bad it spread around. the upshot is that the pony might not make it another day, she can't eat, she had a fit, vet's been again etc etc.

they don't have her insured and these people don't even want to spend the money to have her put down :( (this is the third time they're doing this btw. they lost two other ponies incl an oldie who died in a lot of pain).

and still find time to moan about hay prices, that they have a wedding to go to, that the vet came at an inconvenient time etc etc.

IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD THE TIME AND MONEY NEEDED DO NOT GET A HORSE, LET ALONE SEVERAL!!! 'JUST A SHETLAND' IS NOT AN EXCUSe FOR NEGLECT!

I sat with pony for ages yesterday, always had a soft spot for her (to the point where I did offer to take her off them a few years ago - they refused).

I hope they will do the right thing. either get her to the horsepital now for the 24/7 care she needs. or at least have the guts to put an end to this, for her sake.

sorry needed to get this off my chest.

That is a terrible story, but really the YO should not allow it to happen. I know that it is a DIY yard, but the YO must make sure that all horses are being cared for properly and take action if they are not.

I hope that this pony has a happy ending.

That is disgusting. I'm sorry. It must be so hard to have to sit back and watch that happen. Could someone not intervene - surely that would be classed as abuse? (for all the good the RSPCA would do...) Very frustrating and upsetting :(

poor pony, but at the end of the day the YO does have a responsibility to ensure that horses on the yard are cared for as well.

bad situation all round, there always seems to be one horse on every yard that has a bad owner.

the YO does ensure she is fed, watered, wormed, has her feet done (considering we are a 40 acre DIY field, this is quite a lot!) and that a vet comes out I anything looks untoward (which is what she did! like I said, she appeared overall ok/ well up until a few days ago). but ultimately, the owners need to see to their horse! and pay for the dentist/vets/insurance etc! nevertheless, YO stayed with the pony last night etc. nothing to intervene for eg RSPCA as horse was fed and watered and had its basic needs met and is technically under vet care at the moment.

this happens a lot with grass liveries I'm sure -people just make their lives easy by simply leaving them out there and never seeing them. I have no respect for these people.

pony is a tiny bit better today but still pretty bad :( really hope she will pull through.

YO takes it very seriously - sadly, this is exactly why people take the p**s! they now she'd never let a horse down.

when she's better I have a proposal for them ... (again!). got to play that one carefully though and time it right as to not hit a brick wall again.

This is horrible, I hate this, if you cant afford the vet and basic care, you cant afford a horse. No ifs or buts, that is the deal. A good life and a good death when the awful time comes.

I heard another horrible one today, woman went on holiday and came back to find one of her ponies had a broken leg. Someone has reported it and apparently RSPCA vet said it had been broken a week ago!!

Might be gossip, I really hope its not true.

newrider.com