Absolutely gutted ...

melmo1313

Sep 5, 2009
Preston
So I go up last night to see my share cob and Linda, his owner, comes with me. I just thought she was going to go tell the yard owner off as she has been taking OUT his hay from his net that she has been putting in for him ... all he gets is a big net at night and a small one in the morning .. no hard feed so that's not on. Anyway, she breaks the news to me that she sold the house quicker than she thought and the new people want to move in 14th December ... so the provisional moving date for both house and horse is 14th December. They are moving to Durham, basically because Linda's dad is really ill with cancer and she needs to be there .. he has been very ill since June. I can understand why they want to move and they have found a great yard to keep the horse at .. but I am really sad to see him go. I know I won't be able to find another horse as sweet, chilled out and cheeky as this horse. If she would ever sell him I told her I would sooo buy him but I know she wouldn't .. she's had him since he was 3 and he's 10 now.

This really leaves me in a quandry. I am still so tempted to get my own horse but I do not have the time even though I probably have the money. I would love a young (5 or 6) calm, maybe slightly green/young acting horse, probably a cob or a native of some kind. I just don't see another share horse being as nice or the owner being as understanding of leaving me alone to do my own thing and even teaching him Western. I will look for another share but it will take a LOT to replace him. I'm really upset now it's all sunk in.

Hopefully if it is the 14th, I will be off work so I can help with packing everything up, loading him up and saying goodbye. I'm crying here just thinking about it. Had a nice chat with my sister last night who has been through the same thing ... it will take a LOT to replace him, and if she is looking for sharers in Durham I could highly recommend!!

Awww no :( If it's any consolation, Durham is a lovely place :)

If you can afford it, could you get your own horse and keep it on part livery? or full livery when you haven't time. Alternatively, could you find a sharer to help you out?
Hope you get sorted
xx

What yard is he going to?

Sorry for you in this situation! I realise that's the downside of sharing. I'd not heard of the concept until I got involved in this forum. I am sure Linda will understand how you are feeling and perhaps you could still go and see the horse sometime? Don't give up trying for another share or loan! If you were nearer me I'd love it if you could teach my old boy western, I think he'd be really good at it, if a bit slower now!

I've been thinking more and more about my own horse lol. I actually just replied to an ad for a share close to me, a lovely sounding Dales pony but he's only 14.3 ... I was honest and gave my height and weight as I think he could be too small.

Aw, its always hard to see a Horse going...

Little thought, why don't you BUY and find a sharer yourself;)

That way you will have some help and having had a good share
experience yourself you will know exactly what to do to keep it all
going smoothly.

I've been sneakily looking when OH isn't around ;) It is the time factor though, if I couldn't find a sharer I honestly couldn't do 7 days a week with working shifts and now being able to drive. Unless I had a yard 5 minutes from my doorstep (or my own land ... lottery numbers coming up soon? ;))

newrider.com