Acorns??

Portia

Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
How much of a problem are they? Do they a similar toxic accumulative effect on the liver as ragwort? Or would you expect to see more colic-type symptoms? Mare has recently moved to a field with a lovely oak tree for shelter, and I now have a daily acorn-pick session (as well as poo-pick)!

Portia said:
How much of a problem are they? Do they a similar toxic accumulative effect on the liver as ragwort? Or would you expect to see more colic-type symptoms? Mare has recently moved to a field with a lovely oak tree for shelter, and I now have a daily acorn-pick session (as well as poo-pick)!

Some horses seem to get addicted. They (acorns not horses :) ) are poisonous but from what I've seen from a colleague's horse they recover quite quickly when removed from the problem. Try Googling "horses and acorns" for more advice

some horses have quite a bad reaction to them, someone on my course was telling me today, that her friend's horse become swollen much like peoples allergy to nuts. they are poisonous and I wouldn't risk it to be honest, you never know what the long term effects could be.

I'll second that, I know of two owners who have lost their horses through acorn poisoning. If it was me, I would fence the tree off.

I know it's from a different part of the world but...
Here's what Ontario Veterinary Med. Assoc. has to say:
- Trees that are also known to have caused livestock poisoning include white, red and black oak trees. Horses can develop a taste for oak leaves and cattle a taste for acorns. Leaves and acorns of oak contain tannins that are toxic in large enough doses. Black and red oak are more toxic than white oak.

Ministry of food & agriculture reports this about oak trees:Ingesting oak leaves and acorns has caused poisoning. Immature acorns contain more toxin than mature acorns (Sandusky et al. 1977).
This plant (red oak) contains toxic tannins that have caused poisoning and death in cattle and horses. Poisoning can lead to depression, anorexia, loss of condition, and kidney damage. Kidney failure usually results in death.

Toxic parts:
acorns
leaves
immature fruit

Horses
General symptoms of poisoning:
abdominal pains
anorexia
colic
constipation
depression
diarrhea
hematuria
icterus

Notes on poisoning:

Horses that ingested leaves of red oak developed symptoms of depression, anorexia, abdominal pain, constipation, slight icterus, hematuria, edema, and weakness. The symptoms occurred 6-9 days after ingestion. Blood transfusions were thought to speed recovery (Duncan 1961).

Check your country's agriculture info site for more on toxic plants & trees.

LMS

Acorns are very toxic and can be fatal.

Beware though, my mare had the same addiction to horse chestnut (conker) trees and was very very poorly with liver damage :(

I read an article about Acorn damage in Horse- If I remember correctly her horses were subdued, off their food and later appeared to be in coma like states. I have the magazine still, I could hunt it out if it will help anyone?

newrider.com