Action Plan on how to get rid of possible Mites ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
The TB has come out in scabby lumps the last day or so on his cannons and his muzzle has a few raised lumps on it as well, I noticed this morning that Lee has extra small scabby lumps on his muzzle as well, at first I thought it was sunburn (even though I apply it each day I rub it in well then he proceeds to rub his nose on his leg :rolleyes:) But from talking to some other people today/and doing a bit of research on here, we were told the TB's lumps sounded like Harvest Mite :eek: Which would make sense in a small way as they were moved only this week from a field that was harvested the week before.

Lee has been stamping his feet a bit this week and I have intended to give his feathers a good scrub through with some shampoo, his old owner did tell me that she did use Frontline on his legs as it stopped any nasties getting up and in there. But she did this at the beginning on June.

So from reading on here it sounds like mites in cobs feathers is quite common ( :( ) the vet is coming out anyway early next week to microchip Lee, but this weekend I'm determined to do something about it for the horses sake. I dont want them feeling uncomfortable.

This morning we brought some front line spray, the TB had his legs hibiscrubbed and both the boys had their muzzles washed in a diluted anti-baterial shapmoo. What should we do now ?

I've done a small plan and wanted to know what other NR members think.

• Hibiscrub the legs
  • Possibly trim/thin out feathers (only August so no need for full protection yet, I would prefer to keep his feathers on but I will clip if I have to)
  • Anti-Bacterial wash on the face and muzzle area, possibly Equest worm as well ?
  • Sudocreme on Scabs
  • Frontline the legs
  • Pig Oil and Sulphur for the Feathers ?

What can anyone else recommend we do ?

newrider.com