Adults shouldn't ride ponies!!!

Ponymad123

Oct 30, 2008
:mad:

OMG - im really angry and upset!

My pony is getting a new saddle and my saddle man said ideally he should have a 16inch saddle but because of my size 5ft2 just under 9st i wouldnt fit in one so anyway getting a 16.5.

I was explaining to my 'friend' and she said i was tight, if i cant fit in a 16 inch i shouldnt be on him! and adults shouldnt ride ponies anyway.

Oh my god! i have seen a hell of alot bigger adults than me on a welsh C pony so whats the problem?

i cant believe she said it, i feel big now and heavy and that maybe i shouldnt be riding him.

i am sure the saddler has a much better idea about what your pony is capable of!! you are not too big or too heavy for your pony!! im about 8st (thereabouts), 5'6 and ride a 12.3hh pony in a 'size 1' treeless saddle that would also fit a big horse. absolutely fine!

Julia
x

Don't get upset, just ignore her she doesn't know what she is talking about! I ride a 13.1 no problem and love it and lots of other adults do to. Saddle shapes vary a lot, you just need one that fits both of you which you are sorting out. Don't worry about it. Having a saddle made is a wonderful thing to do and more than most do. The half inch in length is nothing compared to the weight spread which your saddler will sort out.

Of course adults should ride ponies - why should the kids have all the fun!:)

By the way you are two inches shorter than me and half a stone lighter!!!

My 13.1 pony came with a 15.5 inch saddle (didn't fit him properly) but I did fit in it just. Saddle fitter came out and i got a 16 inch saddle and rode in that for 12 months. I am also 5'2 but a lot heavier than you, and never had a problem fitting into the 16 inch saddle.

I now ride him in a Barefoot treeless saddle, size 1, but I sill have my English saddle in the hope that we might do a show or two.

:mad:

OMG - im really angry and upset!

My pony is getting a new saddle and my saddle man said ideally he should have a 16inch saddle but because of my size 5ft2 just under 9st i wouldnt fit in one so anyway getting a 16.5.

I was explaining to my 'friend' and she said i was tight, if i cant fit in a 16 inch i shouldnt be on him! and adults shouldnt ride ponies anyway.

Oh my god! i have seen a hell of alot bigger adults than me on a welsh C pony so whats the problem?

i cant believe she said it, i feel big now and heavy and that maybe i shouldnt be riding him.

Don't take any notice at all. Have a look at my photo album of Star. He is a 13.1hh arab x welsh b and is alot finer than a c. He happily carried a 5ft 1" just under 10 stone adult round daily. If he wasn't being pts soon I'd happily invite you to ride him. She's probably one of these snooty horse owners, I was a non snooty horse owner until I got back into ponies, so try and take it on the chin ;)

Ignore her! She is probably jealous of you!

I am 4'11" and around 7.5 stone, I have a fine 13.2hh pony and I am sure that her saddle is around the 16 mark (would need to check to confirm!) she carries my weight fine!

I am also the person that rides all my friends little ponies, to school them for their children/grandchildren and even these little ponies have biggish saddles!

She sounds like a right mongoose i agree with everyone else who thinks that said friend is jealous

p.s you any pictures of said pony?

Here he is- we do allsorts together:)
S1053490.jpg

S1053221.jpg

S1053060.jpg

S1053028.jpg

My Welsh Cob X is in a 17inch saddle - I ride my TB mare in an 18inch btw - and he is only 14.1hh but the saddle is professionally fitted for him...and me!

Friend is hopefully talking rubbish cos at 5'6" and just over 11 stone I am probably being terribly cruel to my poor pony!! :rolleyes:

You are under 9 stone, how can you possibly be too big!?!?! She is chatting s#!@!

You look great on him, he is beautiful. :)

Your size is nothing - just make sure the saddle fits him before you make sure it fits you. He has to wear it, not you; but saying that, your weight needs to be distributed properly, otherwise it'll be uncomfortable.

I'm not a small lassy, but I ride in a 16' saddle, and I find it comfortable now I'm used to it - my pony's shoulder, ribs and withers suit the size, so I had to go with it.

I always though seat size was for your leg length? so being 5.2 gosh you could ride the ponies i can't as i'm 5.4 and have the long leg syndrome!

My chap 14hh and we look ok.

Depends on style and make of saddle some 16" i can't get into, some i can:)

Sec Cs were bred to carry shepherds over the hills and back for tea with a couple of lambs and ewes on board too.

My Sec C takes up the length of a 17" saddle easily.

I am heavier than you and 5ft 5 and i ride and show at county level a Dartmoor. Granted he is a bigggg Darty with a huge front but still no judge has ever told me im too big on him and we have won lots together.

You look fine dont worry. I get people telling me by riding a smaller pony im ruining it for children that I show alongside. But trust me no child can ride the Darty i ride as he is so strong.
They are probably just against adults on ponies

When we'd run out of 16.5 inch trees all we did was move the head nail down a bit and turn a 16.5 inch tree into a 16 inch one! :D :D

I can not believe that! Someone has the grereneyed monster syndrome.
I would look at dofferent type of saddle to accomodate your leg rather than a bigger horse!
We have an arab and a cob x ID they are the same height but vary in back length but a whole 12". The arab is 5'9 and cobby 6,9. both are in xxw saddles... arab has a mtm saddle (nothing fitted) cob has an off the peg synthetic endurance.
Horses and people vary saddles are a compromise of both!

newrider.com