Advice!! Before tomorrow!!

From this I take it this has happened in other places just for a trot previously, you could well be right that he's physically finding the hill hard and this could be his default I don't want to response, if so it could just be a matter of time and his increasing fitness and decreasing weight. Could also be why he's better without a rider, might not be too but I think you'll have to trust your gut on the why to try and decide how to combat it.
I've felt this is possibly the case. It's trial and error really. I must must must get some weight off him!

Reactions: Jessey
I'm generally of the view that if the problem is under saddle you resolve it under saddle, particularly if it's naughtiness. Rarely, if there's something a horse is genuinely scared of and you know it will follow you safely, then getting off and leading is an option. I also think there's a better chance of keeping or regaining control riding, in hand it's too easy for them to pull away or go over you if there's a problem. Would it work to take someone on foot with you?
I hate to say it, but it probably is naughtiness, even though I think he'd struggle a bit, being overweight, I'm not heavy, and I don't push him hard enough. He led up the hill no problem this afternoon, so maybe some good hard work, and boring him stupid, going up and down it, will reap some benefits!

Managed (not without a struggle) to get up and out by 8am. I decided to ride him today, taking the exact route from yesterday. As I approached the HILL OF DOOM (add your own dramatic music effects), I could see a dozen or so forest ponies milling around all the way up it. First thought was "Oh crap - I'll just turn off and avoid." Second thought was "I asked for, and got, all this advice - get on with it woman!" Started singing, mostly for my own benefit, and bit the bullet. He stopped at the bottom, mainly to look at the ponies, then much to my relief, with a lot of legging on, went, oh so slowly up, despite ponies on both sides. Didn't dare stop halfway to praise him, but gave him a bucketful of praise when we got to the top. So, from this little success, onward and upward (literally!) I'll give him a normal hack tomorrow, and we'll go again on Thursday. Thank you everyone!

Excellent :D singing is a useful tool, it forces your diaphragm to work properly and relax, which relaxes your body which transmits relax to the horse :)

Reactions: Huggy
Managed (not without a struggle) to get up and out by 8am. I decided to ride him today, taking the exact route from yesterday. As I approached the HILL OF DOOM (add your own dramatic music effects), I could see a dozen or so forest ponies milling around all the way up it. First thought was "Oh crap - I'll just turn off and avoid." Second thought was "I asked for, and got, all this advice - get on with it woman!" Started singing, mostly for my own benefit, and bit the bullet. He stopped at the bottom, mainly to look at the ponies, then much to my relief, with a lot of legging on, went, oh so slowly up, despite ponies on both sides. Didn't dare stop halfway to praise him, but gave him a bucketful of praise when we got to the top. So, from this little success, onward and upward (literally!) I'll give him a normal hack tomorrow, and we'll go again on Thursday. Thank you everyone!

Brilliant news! Well done you and Hogan, have to say the additional obstacle of the forest ponies would have made me think twice but sounds you're not going to be put off by anything! Watch out Hogan!

Well all the singing in the world wouldn't have helped me today! I chickened out - herd of big white cows right smack bang on the hill - nope - not happening, didn't even try :( . Instead, we trotted past the route home, as an alternative challenge, which can be tricky sometimes, but was good boy today. Bane of my life those bloody cows :mad:

You need to bring him to see my lovely darlings. I'd make you ride right through them. Mine dont bat an eyelid and if they do get inquisitive I walk straight towards. The more you bottle out your giving the wrong message. Face your fears.

The trouble is, they're intermittent, because they roam the forest. There one week, then you don't see them for months. Ramsey never quite got over them, even over 20 years, because every time he got better with them, they'd beggar off and we'd not see them for ages - same with donkeys!

Today another minor victory. Rode along the opposite approach to the hill in question, and saw at least a dozen ponies scattered around it. Cue tuneless singing, and oh so slow ascent! But, we made it up without incident. Next job, to go down it. Who'd have thought one could regard a hill as ones nemesis? :rolleyes:

Nice to see these happy ears at the track at the top of the hill, instead of ears back and head all over the place! Amazed I could even take a hand off the reins to take it!20190713_084024.jpg

Reactions: Jessey and PePo
I don’t know why people don’t like to get off, the easiest and by far the fastest way for Belle to get over anything scary is for me to get off and show her it’s fine, no drama, no silly antics, no me having a panic attack, just jump off, lead up to or past, jump back on. Takes us a few moments longer but I definitely feel over time it’s given Belle a lot of confidence in me so scary happens les and less.
So if I were you that’s what I’d be doing, don’t turn back though, keep going in the direction you wanted to go, get off if he’s scared, lead past scary stuff, get back on and keep going.

We done @Huggy Just a thought, has he had his saddle checked? Pete started getting funny about going up/down steep hills and it was the first indcation his saddle wasn't quite right.

I was just about to say that @Kite_Rider

If I try to 'ride Pete through', well, anything it's game over. Total shutdown of communication and sense of partnership and he's very difficult for the rest of the ride.

Get off and lead past whatever it is - ni drama and it's like nothing's happened.

Absolutely agree about the saddle - I had it fitted a few months ago and have had it checked recently. However, I think he's been ridden in the past with an ill fitting one and has "remembered" pain/discomfort. It took a while for him to settle to having it put on , but he's fine now. Believe me, if I think it's all going to hell in a hand basket, I'm off him like you know what off a shovel! I'm beginning to get his measure, and generally know when a hissy fit's coming, and yesterday I pretty much knew we were going to get through those pesky ponies! But, like all our horses show us, it could be a whole different story tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Reactions: PePo and Jessey
Just a general update. At the moment, it would seem we've got over the hill arguments, meeting other riders, and forest ponies. We haven't had a major disagreement for over a month now. I'm going to regret saying that, aren't I?

If I try to 'ride Pete through', well, anything it's game over. Total shutdown of communication and sense of partnership and he's very difficult for the rest of the ride.

Get off and lead past whatever it is - ni drama and it's like nothing's happened.
I have one of these.
It's almost as if you can huff and puff all you like but I won't be moving that way.
I have got after her and that's when she's thrown me, twice and meant it.
Get off and lead me and all will be well, make me and you better be able to stay on because I will depositing you.

Well - almost ruined it by saying how well it was going! Met my friend walking her dog while out this morning, chatted for a bit, and then continued. Back to huff and puff, head throwing and bunny hops. I sat it out and pushed him on, and it all calmed down within about 50 feet. So I suppose we're still making progress? Rest of the ride was fine, and I didn't feel so shaken up - even managed some civilised trotting, so not a disaster after all! However, will keep my gob shut from now on :p

Well - almost ruined it by saying how well it was going! Met my friend walking her dog while out this morning, chatted for a bit, and then continued. Back to huff and puff, head throwing and bunny hops. I sat it out and pushed him on, and it all calmed down within about 50 feet. So I suppose we're still making progress? Rest of the ride was fine, and I didn't feel so shaken up - even managed some civilised trotting, so not a disaster after all! However, will keep my gob shut from now on :p
It does sound like that's his default 'displeased expression', thought he was done when you were chatting then when asked to go on thought he'd let you know ;) But the great news is he gave up easily and you pushed him through it, the more often you do that the less it will get :)

I bet he throws the head in the field when you are not riding as well?
Mine will do it at the herd and after rolling.
There are a couple of spots hacking I could film it because it's a habit.
Is it a cob thing?

I bet he throws the head in the field when you are not riding as well?
Mine will do it at the herd and after rolling.
There are a couple of spots hacking I could film it because it's a habit.
Is it a cob thing?
I wonder? He certainly throws up his head when he's led - not in a stroppy way, the way some horses do when they set off when driven. That's what made me wonder if he'd been driven at some point. Yes he does it when he's rolled, now you mention that. These head throws when he's stropping though, he's definitely trying to knock the rider, think he's done it and got someone off. Not nearly as bad now, as in the early days. He just does one, and I'm ready for it, and he stops it. Think jessey's right - the more I ride him through it, the less he'll do it - says I, confidently, lol.

newrider.com