Advice: Buying a horse?

AliciaA

Sep 18, 2015
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've been on the site - been super busy with work and family. I have still been riding though, once a week at a new riding school. I'm going very slow and working in walk and trot - I don't mind this so much as my stomach still does somersaults when I think about cantering.

Given that I'm still fairly new to riding, I gave up looking for a share or loan horse for a few reasons,
1. Couldn't find anywhere near by
2. Didn't feel confident enough
3. I'm quite possessive if something is mine and apologetic if it's someone else's. I feel like I'd be so afraid of doing something wrong.

This morning, I saw an advert for a horse advertised as a school master, he is a beautiful little Arab but he is only 5 years old. So my first question is, is it possible for a horse that young to be considered a school master and be the been there done that type? I ask because I was under the impression that they tended to be a bit older but I may be completely wrong. I have always loved Arabs but never specifically looked for the breed when thinking about a first horse. But in an ideal world, I'd love my first horse to be an Arab schoolmaster/school mistress - I don't want to be stuck with a horse who is too much horse for me to handle, knock my confidence and leave me with an expensive mistake.

EDIT: from the few responses so far, I think we all agree that such a young horse can't actually be considered a schoolmaster :p thanks guys! So not this horse, but any others, im still interested in your views in regards to my questions below

Again, because I've only been riding once a week since August, I expect the general advice would be not to consider buying my own for a while yet.
My head tells me that but if the advert is indeed genuine, I feel like I've fallen for the look of the horse (of course, if it came down to it, I know how important it is to judge the character and temperament too).
I appreciate any input really, if you think it's a definite no no then I think it will settle me for a while :p

As a rider, I don't really feel all that confident doing ground work etc, but personally I feel like when something is mine, I rise to the challenge and work hard. I was a terribly nervous driver when I passed my driving test, but within a few months of buying my own car, I felt my confidence rocket. I wonder if it would be similar owning a horse.

Finally, whether this is an option now or in the near future, I'm curious about costs.
I live in Greater London and would be looking for somewhere commutable so approximately a 10/15 mile radius from Twickenham - again, a rough indication is sufficient.
Because I work full time, and I expect the yard to be quite a distance away, I think I'd have to consider full livery. I know it varies place to place, but I'm actually looking for an upper bound (round the area preferably).

Any rough yearly costs are appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to read this and respond :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider a 5 year old to be a master of anything, at best (or worst depending on how you look at it) they have had a max of 2 years under saddle, if they have indeed done everything you would expect a teenage schoolmaster to have done then their legs are probably shot! ;)

I too am an Arab lover, but I wouldn't typically consider them a suitable breed for a novice/some one who is not confident as they are physically very capable (as in wearing them out isn't a way to address over exuberance) and they are very intelligent and have a stubborn streak, all that said occasionally you get one who is 'an old head on young shoulders' in every breed so I wouldn't discount an Arab as a first horse but I wouldn't set your heart on it either :)

Slightly cross-posting with the above, but I was already half way through writing my post so will post it anyway!

IMO, no, a 5-year-old cannot be described as a schoolmaster no matter how good their temperament and behaviour. "Schoolmaster" implies an experienced horse with a track record in their discipline who is reliable and consistent and knows its job inside out. If you want a schoolmaster I wouldn't look at anything less than 10, personally. I'd also be wary of taking an Arab as your first horse if you are worried about ending up out of your depth. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions but Arabs are known for being intelligent, sensitive and can be quite sharp. If your confidence is easily knocked I would be wary of taking one on, especially a youngster.
As for whether it is "too early" for you to own a horse, I don't know. But put it this way, some people are around horses for years before they get their own and still don't have a clue! Obviously if you are going to put it on full livery you will have plenty of suport and guidance available to you - but the other side to that is that you won't have a lot of opportunity to learn and improve your knowledge and skills if other people are doing most of it for you.

Reactions: Jessey
I wouldn't consider a 5 year old to be a master of anything, at best (or worst depending on how you look at it) they have had a max of 2 years under saddle, if they have indeed done everything you would expect a teenage schoolmaster to have done then their legs are probably shot! ;)

I too am an Arab lover, but I wouldn't typically consider them a suitable breed for a novice/some one who is not confident as they are physically very capable (as in wearing them out isn't a way to address over exuberance) and they are very intelligent and have a stubborn streak, all that said occasionally you get one who is 'an old head on young shoulders' in every breed so I wouldn't discount an Arab as a first horse but I wouldn't set your heart on it either :)

Jessey's and Joosie, you have both said exactly what I thought about schoolmistress /schoolmasters. I was under the impression the ranged for teens to much older horses.
Also the breed, I've heard they can be very sharp, sensitive and intelligent although I like that in terms of character, I think that's asking for trouble with a first horse..

Slightly cross-posting with the above, but I was already half way through writing my post so will post it anyway!

IMO, no, a 5-year-old cannot be described as a schoolmaster no matter how good their temperament and behaviour. "Schoolmaster" implies an experienced horse with a track record in their discipline who is reliable and consistent and knows its job inside out. If you want a schoolmaster I wouldn't look at anything less than 10, personally. I'd also be wary of taking an Arab as your first horse if you are worried about ending up out of your depth. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions but Arabs are known for being intelligent, sensitive and can be quite sharp. If your confidence is easily knocked I would be wary of taking one on, especially a youngster.
As for whether it is "too early" for you to own a horse, I don't know. But put it this way, some people are around horses for years before they get their own and still don't have a clue! Obviously if you are going to put it on full livery you will have plenty of suport and guidance available to you - but the other side to that is that you won't have a lot of opportunity to learn and improve your knowledge and skills if other people are doing most of it for you.

Your point about not actually learning as much with full livery is a good one. I've thought about this before and it's almost like having someone do the hard part for you, which is not something I want. Ideally, I'd love to be part of the day to day activities, but with my work and home restrictions, I know it's unlikely that I'd get enough time to do things consistently. So for my piece of mind and the horses well being, I'd rather they were looked after. And my intention would be to still get down to the stable whenever possible.

Do either of you have advice on costs? Even if i don't consider the horse I saw listed, I'm still wondering if it's something I could do in the near nearish future..

Reactions: Jessey
Another one in the no camp I'm afraid! A 5 year old IMO couldn't possibly, even remotely, be considered a schoolmaster. And I also wouldn't recommend a 5 year old to any rider that started riding last August. Sorry, no offence intended whatsoever but to be frank it could really shoot your confidence and learning curve to bits.
If you look at the ages of the horses you're riding at the RS that should give you an idea of what age might be good for you;)
As for buying your own, there's never a "perfect" time really. If your on livery then the issue of all the million questions there are when you first own will be able to be answered or at least point you in the right direction by the YO/other liveries.

Reactions: AliciaA
Another one in the no camp I'm afraid! A 5 year old IMO couldn't possibly, even remotely, be considered a schoolmaster. And I also wouldn't recommend a 5 year old to any rider that started riding last August. Sorry, no offence intended whatsoever but to be frank it could really shoot your confidence and learning curve to bits.
If you look at the ages of the horses you're riding at the RS that should give you an idea of what age might be good for you;)
As for buying your own, there's never a "perfect" time really. If your on livery then the issue of all the million questions there are when you first own will be able to be answered or at least point you in the right direction by the YO/other liveries.
None taken by any means. As mentioned, I didn't think it was possible anyway. Thanks for the reply though :)
The biggest thing about owning a horse for me (after finding the right one) would be cost.

a better description for you perhaps is that with a 5 year old you would be responsible for their continued training as well as your own. An older more experienced horse would give you the time to concentrate more on your own training. xx

Full livery I have seen from 50 per week and I worked at a comp/livery yard which was 160 a week (herts), that included us riding the horses 3 x a week though, it depends on where you are looking and what for.

Hi @AliciaA

I live in London, I'm very close to twickenham myself :) I own a wonderful haflinger who I keep at a yard 8 miles from home. There are lots of yard within commuting distance of your area but some may have limited turnout or hacking.

My DIY livery is £160 a month but I think for full livery you would be looking between £450 and £600. I know in the yards near me full livery is £500 plus. This includes hay and bedding etc but not shoes, exercising, vet bills, insurance etc

My friend keeps her horse on part livery just down the road from me. They do all the care Monday to Friday but she has to do it all on weekends. Yard is okay but just a sand school and some hacking, nothing special. She pays £550 and has to supply her own feed. The yard are generous enough to supply the bedding :p

I am not far from London, but full livery (and by that I mean that the horse is mucked out, turned out, brought in, groomed etc. All feed and bedding included and the horse is ridden daily) would cost about £800 to £900 per month. If you are looking for part livery (where the horse is looked after but not ridden or exercised in anyway) will cost about £500 to £600. It all depends on the facilities on the yard, number and qualifications of yard staff etc. You can expect to pay extra for horse insurance, shoes, teeth, vaccinations, vets bill, lessons, tack, rugs and other equipment you need.

Of course the price can be higher or lower than this. If you google some yards in your area they will either have a price online or you can give them a ring to find out.

I am in Bucks (horse lives near Henley) and a fair few people who live and work in London keep horses here. It's closer to £600 a month for full livery around here, £500 for part livery. I pay £160 a month for DIY including field, stable, use of school and hay/haylage.

A 5 year old Arab could not be described as a school master. You do get sensible youngsters but you never know if they're going to go through the grumpy 'Mum I hate you' teenager stage! I bought Roxy as a schoolmistress, that meant a proven track record of success in BSJ and BD. She was 12 when I got her. The thing with school master/mistresses - yes they've been there and done that but it does mean they know all the tricks too. I love my horse to bits but she won't do what you ask her unless you ask properly - she's not generous! So in that sense, she's taught me well as I have to get everything right every time or she just ignores me!

Reactions: orbvalley
Hi @AliciaA

I live in London, I'm very close to twickenham myself :) I own a wonderful haflinger who I keep at a yard 8 miles from home. There are lots of yard within commuting distance of your area but some may have limited turnout or hacking.

My DIY livery is £160 a month but I think for full livery you would be looking between £450 and £600. I know in the yards near me full livery is £500 plus. This includes hay and bedding etc but not shoes, exercising, vet bills, insurance etc

To be honest, I was expecting that range as I had read elsewhere that it's about 100-150 per week for full livery. I haven't found anywhere close by but maybe if I look further a field, I might get lucky. Since I'm only contemplating it at this point I haven't called around many places yet.
That's the other thing, I'd want somewhere I can actually ride, or at least learn on my own horse.

I am not far from London, but full livery (and by that I mean that the horse is mucked out, turned out, brought in, groomed etc. All feed and bedding included and the horse is ridden daily) would cost about £800 to £900 per month. If you are looking for part livery (where the horse is looked after but not ridden or exercised in anyway) will cost about £500 to £600. It all depends on the facilities on the yard, number and qualifications of yard staff etc. You can expect to pay extra for horse insurance, shoes, teeth, vaccinations, vets bill, lessons, tack, rugs and other equipment you need.

Of course the price can be higher or lower than this. If you google some yards in your area they will either have a price online or you can give them a ring to find out.

800/900 will leave me with less than that to live on a month *dies of shock*

@squidsin that makes a lot of sense. The goal though is to learn, if I learn because my house refuses to listen because I'm not asking properly, well I don't mind that so much :p better than taking off with me because I have no idea what I'm asking

Just wanted to say I would factor in the cost of a good instructor and choose a yard with a supportive YO, especially with your first horse. Both are invaluable and I'd have been lost without mine! And BTW I bought a 4 year old Arab colt (gelded for me when I bought him) for my first horse, but I had loaned for a year previously (and I had aforementioned backup from RI and YO). I know you're not keen on loaning but it really is good experience and if you set yourself a target, as I did, to loan for x amount of time, it can be quite exciting looking forward to the day when you can start your own horse search - a bit like waiting for Christmas I suppose :) Meanwhile you get to expand your range of horsey contacts which will help when you do start your search.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Just wanted to say I would factor in the cost of a good instructor and choose a yard with a supportive YO, especially with your first horse. Both are invaluable and I'd have been lost without mine! And BTW I bought a 4 year old Arab colt (gelded for me when I bought him) for my first horse, but I had loaned for a year previously (and I had aforementioned backup from RI and YO). I know you're not keen on loaning but it really is good experience and if you set yourself a target, as I did, to loan for x amount of time, it can be quite exciting looking forward to the day when you can start your own horse search - a bit like waiting for Christmas I suppose :) Meanwhile you get to expand your range of horsey contacts which will help when you do start your search.
Yeah, I mean I have looked but can't seem to find anyone close enough, and if I do stumble across an advert, the owner is looking to have someone school their horses or bring them on. There are stables in Windsor I think that let you horse share. I think I may get in touch with them. Thanks for the advice. Doc you find having an Arab was challenging? As your first horse I mean, given their perceived temperaments.

newrider.com