Advice needed am I too heavy??

Jenny waring

Aug 29, 2017
Hi everyone.

I've been asked to ride a 12hh pony once a week to school and exercise. I'm guessing he's around 300kg. Owner says he can take up to 10 stone as weight carrier. I'm 9 stone and 5 foot 3. I'm just a bit worried if I'm too heavy? I've had advice off a few different people and some say they wouldn't and some say it's fine as it's within the 15% range? I'm an experienced rider so no problem with balance etc.

Many thanks

Try him & see? Also see if you can fit in a saddle that fits him, that may be a deciding factor.

Weightwise I have a 14.2 that weightapes between 368kg (up his feed a little) & 386kg (you're only getting balancer, no nuts!) & he easily carries a lot more than that.

much depend s on the breed- 300kg sounds a lot for a 12hh - our A is 260kg he will carry 9+ stone and daughter is just okay within 20% rider weight guide (includes tack) if pony is 300kg then you should be fine - most Native breeds are bred for weight carrying but I would be sceptical for a fine breed I think common sense has to prevail

Ok thank you. I rode him in the school on Sunday and he seemed fine and I didn't feel too big on him and he was nice and forward. I think because he looks small I just feel a bit weird; only because I have two Clydesdales which are 18.2 and 18.3 so he feels very small haha!

I used to ride a Dartmoor for a woman as he was too much for her daughter at that time. I was about 9st and I'm 5ft1 and he tanked me round no bother the wee sh!t. Those where the days when I could get my ass in a 15inch saddle :D

My goodness @Jenny waring he must feel odd after riding 18 hand horses! My pony is 14.1 and when I rode a Percheron once I felt as if I was hanging in the air with every trot step, waiting for him to finish his stride.... You must feel as if you're sitting on a little sewing machine!

What breed is the pony? How fit is he?
If it was my pony, no probably not but I'm not the owner and don't know the pony.

newrider.com