Advice on hacking

Today was a much better day, I expressed my concerns to my dressage instructor she told me that my mare was very intelligent and has a lot of things going on in her head, she suggested that I do a lot of random transitions so that she is following my lead rather than thinking ahead of me, so today I went into school and set out a course of trotting poles I did random halts, change in directions, walk to trot she did however try and take over by going into canter a couple of times so I did more transitions until she stopped doing it and listened to what I was asking,we then had a walk out, her head was low as we walked up road to moor, not once did get head go up , I came off the normal track and went across the harder terrain she was constantly having to look where she was going up hill down hill round in circles ,she was completely calm not one spook amazing she wasn't her usually giddy self to get home either im on cloud nine

Awesome today I hacked out with a friend, she has a green 5 year old cob who has bolted once with her, i thought I'd take advantage of who is in control, started out fabulous we where taking turns in leading we came off the track and across the terrain of hills and heather, my friend suggested we go check out some rocks ahead she was leading on approach her horse spooked which spooked nine instantly I disengaged her hind and asked for a circle we turned to face the front not 1 buck I must have made the decision to react before she did, any way I then went up front to lead my horse was ok to carry on but my friends was struggling with out risking him to bolt we halted had a chat then carried on, on way home my friends horse caught a glimpse of the running herd of sheep ahead and again spooked which set mine off I did exactly the same thing not 1 buck so now I've realised if she is head high do some weaving ask her to move I have her attention back with out fighting

newrider.com