Advice on Hacking

Rarah

A hole in my Logic!
Sep 28, 2003
West Yorkshire
Visit site
I'm taking Monac out on another hack and would appreciate some advice.

We've only really done schooling since I got him in Aug last year. Started hacking alone just on local lanes and he's OK now - had problems at first.

To get to bridle paths need to ride about 10 mins on roads.

Managed to do that twice before with company with only minor problems.

Tried to do it by ourselves on Tuesday evening and I had to give up in the end and lead Monac because he was going backwards more than forwards and we were holding up the traffic :eek: - I wasn't scared, but I got to the point where I didn't want to cause an accident.

Well - were going again tonight with a friend. What I want to know is do you think I should take Monac out in front and kinda "go it alone" but with the backup of a friend behind us if we really need it. OR should I just let friend go first - because I know Monac will follow.

I don't know which approach would be more beneficial - ie coming down hard on him and making him go - then he should learn that I can get him down there safely and nothing bad will happen or if I do take the gentle approach and let him follow another horse and eventually he will just get used to it??

I don't want to make him associate this particular road which he dosn't like with us having a battle of wills but I would really like to get him out more often so we can get onto some nice canter tracks which he absolutely loves.

What do you think?

Thanks
Sarah :)
x

YourSaftey and your horses safety are very important when out hacking. I have taught my Charlie that we do things my way and not his way. If your horse starts to misbehave on the road dont worry about holding cars up, the majority of drivers will wait for up. The most important thing is to get him moving forward safley. Going out with a friend would be good maybe try both ways that you suggested and see which one works best. Also make sure that you wear high vis gear that way other road users can see you. It does make a big difference when you can hear cars slowing down behind you. When you have caused any hold up to traffic make sure that you that the drivers for waiting.

I think I would let my friend lead a few times until the horse got used to the route. Once he knows where he is going and learns that it is OK then try again on his own. As you say you don't want to set this up to be more scary than it is.

newrider.com