Advice on selling a rug please

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I have a lovely masta heavyweight stable rug. However it is too big. I tried again recently and yep it is too big so pulls back and rubs. I didn’t send it back when I got it as they were out of stock everywhere and managed to find this single rug available. Although it has only been worn for a handful of days it has been hung up and so dusty. So I sent it to be professionally cleaned before I sell.

Would you be willing to buy a rug from stock photos and accept it has been cleaned and so is packaged up? (Showing photos of packaged rug). My thought for staying packaged is to reduce the size to potentially make it easier to post. Also to show that it has indeed been professionally cleaned. Or would you only buy if you could see detailed pictures of the actual rug? Or do I advertise it packaged and then if someone is actually interested open it up?

How much is postage for a big heavyweight stable rug be roughly?

Ideally someone on the yard would buy it but if too big for Robin it will be too big for them all!

OR am I simply over thinking???

I had a rug i brought which was too small. Been sat in the tack room for 3 years. Only tried on. Ive given it to my feed merchant to sell. She has a few second hand bits she sells for people in her shop, also now selling at tabletop sales. I called in today to get some feed but she wasnt there so couldnt find out if she sold it.

Id want to see a picture of it.
Some people are picky on what colour rugs they have for there horses.
Also to see what type of front buckles it has.
If you take it out, when it comes to packaging back up put in a bag and use the hoover to suck out the excess air from the bag to make it smaller.

Yup, photos of the actual rug for me, as for postage I guess it depends who you used, but I’d think around £10?

postdage is around £10 use ups small business as they go by parcel size not weight so if you can parcel it small it costs less. Ihave about 15 for sale at the moment and none have gone, some are very new hardly worn, others have listed their faults, Masta Horseware Fal some of them were very expensve, just can't move them.

Thankyou all. I didn’t know about sucking air out with the hoover 😊. I’ll take it out and photo it.

Yep I'd want to see it, but I'd happily ask if the picture was of it in the pro cleaners bag. I'd def try and advertise it locally for collection if you can, posting second hand rugs, IMO, makes them not cost efficient to buy.

Yep i wouldnt buy if i had to pay postage. What about your local fb horse group. You could put on buyer collects.

That way they can see it before they buy or then walk away if they dont like.

Reactions: Jessey
Definitely will put it on local sites first. There is also a second hand tack shop (which is where they collect rugs for cleaning from) so I could pop it in there. I would put a stock photo up with the colour and fittings but probably better to just open it up as advised. Thanks again all.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com