**Advice on weight and Feeding... pls!!!**

Roo_n_Milly

Sep 17, 2009
Hi guys im new to the site, i own Rhona and Milly...

Rhona is 10yr old sec d mare 15.2hh.... ive had rhona since may this year. Current weight 426kg...

Milly is 5yr old dartmoor mare 12hh... Had milly since June current weight 210kg

They are turned out all year round... this is our first winter... i've just done end of season worming...

My problem is im bit worried about roo she has lost a bit of topline and looks a little ribby, my rule is u should feel but not see them.

They are on 1 acer of land with now poor grazing... thier on hayledge Milly is on 10lb per day and roo is on 20lb per day.

No hard feed... at mo. Rhona is off for winter as im currently 22wks pregnant milly is in light work. Milly appears to be fine weight wise and is nice weight i think.

I personally think rhona should be closer to the 500kg mark??

So im looking for advice im concerned that as we get colder even with the hayledge and rugged up i dont want roo to lose any mroe weight, i did think she might have worms but her count came back at 220 and after equigel treatment no worms found at all. so i can only guess the poor grazing and codl thats come round lately has hit her hard...

So any ideas? what to you think a good wieght for my girl would be..??? any help greatly appricated.

I was personally thinking of introducing 4lb of hard feed split into 2 feeds... made up of speedibeat...baileys no4... chaff and couple of carrots, just to get the weight back on the reduce it as needed... :)

Hi and welcome :)

Yes that feeds sounds fine; you could use either Alpha A Oil or add your own oil to a basic chaff. Give ad lib haylage too; She does sound a little underweight, my 14.1 pony is slightly less than that and he's quite slim.

Best of luck!

newrider.com