Advice on Ziggy's nose please

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Hello all. I have attached (I hope) a rather odd picture of my lovely dapply boy enjoying his herbs (nettles, rosehips and dandelion root to strengthen his system again laminitis, if you're interested). Sorry the picture is sideways, I don't seem to have the nous to correct it.

You will see he has some nasty marks on his nose. They look as if they might have been made by a badly fitting noseband.

I am concerned because they don't seem to be healing or changing. Bites and dings that he came with have scabbed, lost the scabs and filled up with fur in the 5 weeks I have had him, but the nose is just the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can help him get a pretty nose back? Not that it matters, it would just be nice. I'm riding him with no noseband at present to make sure I don't add to the problem.

Attachments

• Ziggynose.jpg
    Ziggynose.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 62
Hard to say for sure but looks like scarring from a headcollar thats been left on. Is it raised?? If it is you may never get the hair back. Try Camrosa, its good stuff and the best thing I know to help with hair problems.

I also second the headcollar - youngsters often seem to be left in a headcollar, which fast becomes too small as they grow and its not taken off until its embedded in the skin.

No idea on how to help it though sorry :(

Cornucresine, wow!

Any ideas how I can give him magnesium when he lives out and fends for himself? I feed him rosehips, dandelions, cleavers, plantains etc for his liver and blood, but magnesium??? Natural supplement anyone?:confused:

Mag ox & cal mag aren't the same thing. I believe mag ox is more palatable, easier for a horse to process & less likely to cause stomach irritation if they're particularly sensitive.

Here's a link to a supplier that a friend uses & has always been happy with http://www.naturalhorsesupplies.co.uk/p/category/0802204936-Magnesium+Supplements/

yeah have tried her a few times and she is appalling, been waiting a week for a delivery this time, no reply to emails or anything. not the first time.

and yes they are different products but moth give a usable form of magnesium, with mag ox being the purer form and more palatable.

How strange, my friend always gets her stuff quickly & has never had problems contacting her!

Mag ox and calmag are the same thing, the mag ox is just a more refined form and is much more expensive as a result. The cal mag (milled magnesite / calcined magnesite) contains quite a bit more magnesium oxide by weight so you actually feed less of it for the same result.

It's also possible to give magnesium in the form of magnesium sulphate rather than oxide by feeding epsom salts, but that does risk gut irritation.

I've never had any problems with her for delivery either. She's always been very helpful.

I started with magox but then I managed to get a 25kg bag of cal mag from my local sheep feed supplier for the princely sum of £13:D. Even though I need to feed more it is extremely cost effective:D:D.

Jane, I just put 2 10ml scoops into a bit of happy hoof. It helps with lami type problems and it also helps keep them calm:D. If there has been a lot of rain or a flush of grass (which is when you are more likely to have magnesium deficiency apparently) I up the amounts I give him (it was the saving of us:eek:)

Even though I need to feed more

I'm not sure you do, like for like the same sized scoop of calmag contains more magnesium oxide, I've got the figures somewhere and will dig them out for you.

i have just had a reply finally, apparently she has been on holiday although there were no notices to this sort anywhere, not impressed.

Would you put details on the internet of your address and the dates you were going to be on holiday then? Or would you consider there to be a possible security risk in doing that? :rolleyes:

Would you put details on the internet of your address and the dates you were going to be on holiday then? Or would you consider there to be a possible security risk in doing that? :rolleyes:

Sorry to butt in but most websites I have purchased from (small businesses) almost always state deliveries may be delayed due to holidays when they go away - courtesy to customers placing orders ;)

In fact one small company have taken 3 weeks to get back to me and have stated they were 'away', with no mention on their website pages. Guess who won't be getting my business worth a few hundred pounds :rolleyes:

Also I must add your horse does have a very cute nose! If it is raised scar tissue it is unlikely to change but worth trying cornucrescine or aloe vera to try and encourage hair growth - even just regular little finger massages may help!

Last edited:
I'm not sure you do, like for like the same sized scoop of calmag contains more magnesium oxide, I've got the figures somewhere and will dig them out for you.

That would be great Yann:D. I have to say though, that at £13 for 25kg, feeding 2 tablespoons per day is never going to bankrupt me:D:D

Sorry to butt in but most websites I have purchased from (small businesses) almost always state deliveries may be delayed due to holidays when they go away - courtesy to customers placing orders ;)

In fact one small company have taken 3 weeks to get back to me and have stated they were 'away', with no mention on their website pages. Guess who won't be getting my business worth a few hundred pounds :rolleyes:

It's the choice they make though. Decision between possibly losing customers or the contents of their home. 3 weeks is a bit much for no explanation, but I certainly wouldn't want to advertise the fact I was going away if it was my home address on the website. If it was a different business address, then I would.

newrider.com