Advice please - Would like to ride 12.2hh?

Lulah

Feb 14, 2008
The marshlands of Essex
Hi everyone, we have a 12.2hh New Forest mare who is pretty much a companion pony now, she was my friend's daughter's first pony and is still occasionally ridden by her bareback (daughter is now 19). The pony is 20 now, generally fit and healthy and loves being taken out for a walk inhand and gets excited at the slightest sign that she might get to go somewhere and have fun! I am a mature rider (!), used to plodding around the lanes and fields on our 14.1hh lazy cob. I would really like to ride said NF pony so me and my friend could go out together with her on our cob. I weigh just over 10 stone and am 5ft 5ins tall. Thing is she is very forward going and I'm not used to that!! So, do you think I can ride her in terms of size, weight etc and is this a good idea? Am I just too heavy/big/tall/old?!! I did get on her once down a quiet lane, bareback, she shot off as soon as I was on and I could only just stop her trotting all the way, I was hanging on to her mane for dear life! I wasn't really scared though because she's so small... So, any advice gratefully received!

if he's the sturdy variety and you can find a saddle that suits you both (eg your bum fits into it ok), why not :) you're never 'too old' for ponies!

I ride and compete my 12hh Exmoor (I'm 5'6 and about 9st) - we've done dressage, TREC, endurance, been to a x-country course (Ok the jumps were very small but still) and hack for miles and miles :)

thanks Notpoodle - I shall give it a go! She has a saddle that fits her and I think I will be ok in it. She's not a really chunky type but I think being a native she should be ok to carry me for short distances and not too fast (obviously she will have other ideas about THAT hahaha!). I may need lessons to learn how to stay on mind you! Your pony looks fantastic!!

I think you and pony would be fine,......you will get funny looks and told you are wrong. Grow broad shoulders, the pony and YOU will know if she's happy.

I am a bit bigger than both of you and rode a 12.2hh Exmoor, and to be perfectly honest was really taken aback at just how big she did ride and how strong she was. I thought she'd feel unbalanced and struggle a bit......did she heck. She was fine,

12.2hh NF ponies are like gold dust! :D

I'm 5ft8 and I have a 13.2hh New Forest pony and most people at the yard are jealous of how fun she is, plus we always get asked out hacking... so we can open gates! :D

newrider.com