Advice/thoughts welcome!

clarabella_78

Jun 6, 2007
North Shropshire
Hi all,
I used to be on here all the time, but have been away for ages as I had a baby and put my beloved Murphy out on loan as I didn't have time for both baby and him. He's been doing really well at his loan home, but their circumstances have changed lately. The lady is pregnant, and due to a condition she's developed she can't ride at all until the baby is born, and there isn't anyone else there to ride him. The reason I put him on loan was because, with me, he was just a field ornament. I went daily to feed and fuss him but apart from that was riding maybe once every 2-3 weeks at best, and having tried to arrange a sharer then that falling through I decided to let him go to a longer term loan home. Now, it would appear that he will be unridden for the best part of a year if he stays there. If that's the case, would he not be better off back with me? It's more upheaval for him though, and he's happy where he is but it seems like such a waste for him not be ridden at all.

So, I don't know what to do!

Upset him by moving him to another loan home?
Get him back and put him on full livery and try to get a sharer to help with the cost?
Put him on working livery somewhere and just ride when I can?
Leave him where he is and accept that in a year the loaner will be taking on the burden of getting him back into work.

:unsure:

I'm not best placed to advise but would it be possible for you to work together to find someone to loan him for the duration of her pregnancy & recovery but staying at his current yard?

She's been looking for someone, but so far no luck. She had one lady lined up who I was going to meet, but when Kez (my loaner) went to see this woman's own horse she said it was in quite poor condition so we've binned that idea.

Is there anyway that you and the loaner could keep him in work between you during the summer - can the loaner lunge him instead of ride ??, let him have the winter off - easier all round and then the loaner can bring him back into work next spring.

However I would ask will the loaner be able to cope once the baby is here, if not its easier to move him now rather than later once he has been out of work, as an out of work horse isnt so appealing to a potential loaner as one in work - even if its only three times a week.

Will reply to your post later - but just wanted to say "welcome back":bounce::bounce: and to let you know that i've still got Archie:bounce:but the bad news is that he's retired due to arthiritis but is quite happy standing about looking pretty!!

Is there anyway that you and the loaner could keep him in work between you during the summer - can the loaner lunge him instead of ride ??, let him have the winter off - easier all round and then the loaner can bring him back into work next spring.

However I would ask will the loaner be able to cope once the baby is here, if not its easier to move him now rather than later once he has been out of work, as an out of work horse isnt so appealing to a potential loaner as one in work - even if its only three times a week.

If he were close by then I would definitely try this, but he's more than 1.5 hours drive away and I work full time and have my little boy to think of (my hubby works away during the week) so I really don't have time to do this :(

Yep - Highland Rocky - but he's off work at the moment too!! Archie is loving doing nothing which surprises me as I thought he'd hate it

Congrats on having your son - how old is he? I hear J still has your old horse too?

Send Murph to me for the next year!!

She's been looking for someone, but so far no luck. She had one lady lined up who I was going to meet, but when Kez (my loaner) went to see this woman's own horse she said it was in quite poor condition so we've binned that idea.

I wouldn't bin the idea until you've found out why the horse is in poor condition; maybe it's not her fault at all, the horse could have been ill, or had tooth problems, or maybe she hasn't had it long ... There are dozens of possible explanations.

Could you not possibley find him another loan home?
Even if the loaner you have now still wants him you could put him on loan for just a year then he could go back?

Poor you!

It's a difficult decision, I guess you have to think of what would stress him the least - being out of work or being moved again? I would also consider whether this person would be able to cope once she's had the baby.

Personally I think that if the horse has a temperament where they don't mind just mooching in the field with their friends than this doesn't do them any harm - he can always be brought back into work at a later date or if you find someone in the mean time that would be able to take him out for a few nice hacks

newrider.com