Advise for new bit for Ginger

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
I am struggling to find a bit that Ginger is actually really happy in and that works for me to.

He is currently in some thing like the Neue Schule team up 14mm. He like the loose ring part and the metal but I still have problems with stopping and he can lean on it. I had been advised to try a thinner bit say 10mm with some type of roller.

He came to me in a jointed snaffle which I still did not have any breaks in.

I am not concerned about the leaning as this will be schooled out of him over time as he learns to sit back but the lack of breaks out hacking does concern me when we are company.:redface:

It has to be dressage legal.

Any advise would be welcomed.

I would say the Neue Schule Verbindend - Tobes has one with the universal sides which you can use with two reins, one rein on the snaffle, or roundings.

With roundings I have brakes in company, which is lovely!!!

I would try borrowing a few to try. We had a headtilting evasive horse within 15 minutes of trying a NS..they are expensive to make a mistake with.

However over the years we have had several who we would never consider hacking out in the bit they did dressage in! What about same mouthpiece pelham with two reins and elastic curb so you have emergency brakes but at the same time are essentially riding normally with the same bit as you use for dressage?, or even a Balding (obviously with two reins!)

I would say the Neue Schule Verbindend - Tobes has one with the universal sides which you can use with two reins, one rein on the snaffle, or roundings.

With roundings I have brakes in company, which is lovely!!!

I have been looking at these but they are as EML states expensive if he does not take to it but I know the bit bank will hire them out..

I would try borrowing a few to try. We had a headtilting evasive horse within 15 minutes of trying a NS..they are expensive to make a mistake with.

However over the years we have had several who we would never consider hacking out in the bit they did dressage in! What about same mouthpiece pelham with two reins and elastic curb so you have emergency brakes but at the same time are essentially riding normally with the same bit as you use for dressage?, or even a Balding (obviously with two reins!)

I also have two bridles ones for hacking and one for schooling and I am currently hacking in a different bit for schooling so happy to try a balding or even a pelham. I use to hack my arab out in a pelham so quite use to them.

Thank you will go google

I would also be tempted by a Pelham or perhaps a 3 ring gag.... Sometimes lightened and responsiveness has to be trained through respect - and if he is leaning and brake failing then perhaps using a Pelham will help him to respect the bit a little more and then you can revert to the original bit?

We had a pony who leaned terribly and he had a copper roller bit - encouraged his to mouth and reduced his leaning but still only a snaffle function.

What internal mouthpiece have you tried? (Single joint, French link, Mullen, ported, lozenge etc?) is there a possibility of a ported straight bar bit being something he would prefer if he isn't keen on the joints?

I always bought other peoples problem ponies for Emma ( we couldn't afford top class ones other wise!!) very similar to dealing with exracers, you need to find the key!

One of her most challenging ( welsh C x arab) was ridden generally in a globe pelham ( basically a mullen mouthed curb only bit) she was then ideally warmed up at home and then put in a hanging cheek snaffle with the same mouth piece to do a brief warm up and test. She went on to be actually a very successful PC dressage pony!!

We then had Emma's first ex racehorse who could only start dressage at Elementary as although great at home needed a double. She was also very successful showing under certain ride judges who rode correctly.

Moral, don't expect them to follow a straight path, try lots and experiment in differerent situations

A lot will depend on what mouth conformation he has.

Have a good feel and feel how low/high his palate is. Whether he has a thick tongue or not.

For Tobes who has a low palate and a thick tongue, a small bit is the answer. For other horses a thin bit may be too severe.

I have found the Verbindend to be the best for us so far, however, I am not convinced it is our 'forever' bit, and am tempted to try a Peewee bit, and if he is happy in that, then perhaps a curved metal Pelham for faster/in company work.

Not every horse goes well in jointed bits, and not every horse is able to tolerate a great fat bit in a mouth that has a big tongue and a low palate.

ETA, Heather will give you a lady called Gail's number to hire bits from - can't remember her surname, but she is lovely. Speak to Heather first though, as she will put you on the right track.

I personally would contact Heather Hyde at Neue Schule. She has massive experience of horses, had an ex race horse who competed at Prix St George level, and there would be very little she doesn't know about bits and mouth conformation. She is awesome to listen to, and quite often suggests bits that you would never consider using - that actually suit!!!

newrider.com