After 15 years I might have

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Changed my stirrups.
I am testing out the Sprenger Bow Balance.

After one short ride I definately want to keep them and give them a full trial.
I have been happy with my endurance ones. But my last lesson on Thursday my RI said my position was extremely insecure and she hasn't seen me ride this bad! She added if the cob takes off, (which I said she can't be bothered), I would struggle to contain her, well as luck would have it she did just that. Full on power trot across the field with me just along for the for the ride!

I was fighting the saddle or the stirrups, so I said I will try and source some stirrups because that's cheaper than another saddle.

Hard to believe had the others that long, but I guess my bones are also older. :eek:

Have to say I have never given a thought to my stirrups for years. I have the shaped safety ones for hacking and jumping but plain on the DR saddle.

Didn’t think it would make any difference in the ability to stop a horse of it tanked off.

I don’t have an issue with ginger doing that but maybe it’s time i looked at trying some of the new modern types

I was also too long, so my whole core was/ is weak. I had no leg or seat to communicate anything and she's an opportunist and decided to take it.
So we've upped by two holes. I definately felt better with the weight of these in comparison to the extremely lightweight ones.

Interesting, I wonder if it was the length change rather than the stirrup change tho, only as talking with a biomechanics instructor she commented that the wider tread of endurance stirrups seemed to give a more stable lower leg in her experience.
I've tried flexi stirrups and didn't much like them personally.

I was still struggling with the shorter length in the lesson, but I was slightly more secure.
The Flexi just aren't helping me anymore they are hindering.
I do like them though as kept all these years.

Reactions: Jessey
My friend was considering trying the bow balance ones as she gets sore knees on long rides (active Welsh trot!) She was put off by the price though, so I'll be interested to learn whether you think they're worth it.

I was still struggling with the shorter length in the lesson, but I was slightly more secure.
The Flexi just aren't helping me anymore they are hindering.
I do like them though as kept all these years.
Are the bow balance not flexi ones? I thought they were, that is the type I was meaning. My endurance ones don't have any flex, just a wider foot with padded tread.

Funnily enough @newforest I've made the swap from Sprengers to Raddery Flex-Ride earlier this year & wondering how I ever managed to ride in the Sprengers :D

I love that they are lighte as well as the safety aspect of a caged stirrup. I also can't brace so easily against them & that they are so comfortable on my knee - it really is horses for courses isn't it!

Last edited:
Funnily enough @newforest I've made the swap from Sprengers to Raddery Flex-Ride earlier this year & wondering how I ever managed to ride in the Sprengers :D
What made you swap?

I still love mine as I wouldn't have had all that time. But their lightness meant I didnt have any weight in the stirrups.
If I lost one I wouldn't notice. I had lost the connection and feel because she goes off seat and voice.

Just adding to this.
Had a month and did a few poles and they feel ok for jumping.
As she's trained in testing things she's also added in a trip, spin, startle and mini reverse. Pointless having a product that let's you down when you need it to step up!

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com