Afternoon with a difference

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I was just going out to get some firewood, and do the sheep rounds and was suddenly aware that the police helicopter was circling. Then I see police cars floating around so I walk along the yard. Then see my horses are in the wrong part of the field, how strange. I'd only exercised them and put back in the field an hour ago. Then I notice our high tensile perimeter fence is all slack. So I see a policewoman on the other side of the wall and ask what's going on. She tells me there's and abandoned car down in the bottom of this field. So I turn round and look and sure enough it's at the very bottom of my field. Police were trying to establish exactly the route it had taken. Various witness sitings coming across the hill. So im questioning the police as we have the cattle out on the hill and if they've driven through our own perimeter fencing then might have taken out other fencing which could let the cattle out onto main roads.
When I get out in the field I realise the car had driven straight through the horses strip grazing which had taken out my two temporary fences running right across the middle of my field. There are polys and wire trailing everywhere. I picked up as many poly posts as I can find but it's an 8 acre field, so finding green polys in long grass is near impossible. Everything got dragged this way and that. I have quite a few polys missing still so I will be picking them up one by one once we graze the field off more. Horses had obviously panicked with wire and polys pinging as there are skid marks in there grazing area, which were not there an hour before.
Police cars were everywhere, they even had a dog out. They told me there were lots of reports but no one was sure if it was a stolen car or if it was involved in something else. That all seemed vague. Then there asking me how can we get down the field and how can we recover the car. Can someone tow out with the tractor as they definately couldn't get a recover vehicle to it. So we said yes it's possible. So when we drive down the field we find the reason they abandoned the car was due to driving into our internal fencing. Which consists of stock netting with two high tensile strands on top. They about 6 foot running parallel 6 strains of high tensile. They well and truly wedged the car. Took a bit to get it off the fencing when we towed it out and up the field to our yard. Police arranged a recovery vehicle to take it away. Which they've just been and collected.
Turns out they cut a chain off a gate to get onto the hill. So who ever they were they had bolt cutters. They were seen driving at high speed along the main hill track.
We are still puzzled by why the car was driven off the track they were on and into our field. The only thing we can think is that the cattle were round on the track at the time and maybe they were blocking it so they thought they would detour across our fields instead.
We've done some temporary repairs on our perimeter fencing to keep horses in and cattle out. But we have to go and buy new insulators to fix it all properly. The internal fencing is a right mess but by the time we got the car off it it was too dark to establish the full damage.
Fortunately the horses seem fine. Hopefully all the cattle are okay. But it's too dark to go looking for them now so I will check them in the morning. They should be round for there hay at first light. Could do without all the fence repair work we now have to do. It's taken 4 hours of messing about repairing fencing so far and dealing with car recovery.
Never a dull day.

Gosh how awful! Can you claim on your insurance for all the damaged fencing? Glad animals all fine. Bloomin heck. What type of car was it? Do you thini they were just di*k head racer types bazzing down lanes?? Blimey. Hope everything is okay now.

The police said we could claim off there insurance. However I checked the number plate on the internet and it says it wasn't taxed. It must have been mot'd in the last month though. It was the type of car that youngsters would have but the police said they didn't know if it was stolen. It seemed a bit strange that they sent the helicopter up and that there were so many police cars floating around. We asked if they were being persue but they said no.
We do have insurance for damage but the will be the excess to pay so it might not be worth us claiming on our own. Still haven't been and looked at the damaged fence at the bottom of the field yet in the daylight. I think it will be the weekend as I'm working all week.

newrider.com