Aha ! and thanks .. jessey and ConnieD

KateWooten

Sep 28, 2005
TN
As a follow-up to the thread on Rosie 'lunging experts' ... Rosie is my very badly put together half-arab five year old. She has a long back, weak hindquarters, and super-dominant personality to boot. She goes from real sweet, cuddly adorable pony, to kick your head off B from H in less than a blink.

Rosie has this dreadful shuffling trot, where her back legs stomp up and down not moving anywhere. She has made some progress recently as we have started to be able to lunge without her kicking my head off. Then Jessey showed me a picture of her Bo - a 'before' picture ... and it was one of those 'Aha!' moments. It was exaclty a picture of Rosie. Well, if you can imagine a dark bay Rosie with extra 'bits'... the head-high, confident shuffle - it was all there, even the expression. Stifle problems ! Aha ! because my vet had visited the week before for annual vaccs and said he thought she looked like her stifle was locking, and to do some more hill work (err, yeah, ok, more hill work in a vague way .. yawn...)

Then it all fell in to place when connieD told me, about her bucking mare.... that she'd taken a tip to 'think outside the box' and lunged the mare very gently in a pessoa, in order to show her a better way of working. That;s all the young mare had needed - just a hint. The mare loved the new way of rounding out, and next time she carried a rider, felt able to round more ... and no longer needed to buck to express disapproval.

hmmmmmmmm .... now, that hit a spot. Because Rosie is such a little sweetheart, but she explodes on me ... she says NO in a big huge shout, and yet she's so incredibly flexible at a walk, she'll do anything for me - any move, any lateral work ... she shows off for me in front of an audience without fail ... but she 'just can't' walk downhill, or extend at a trot, or step over a pole .. she 'just can't'.

I'm not even sure why I couldn't see it. I'd just kept on struggling with this difficult mare who just couldn't... and I just couldn't see the way forward. I was (almost) convinced I'd bought a bad, lame, useless horse ... ConnieD made a really important connection for me. The stifle problem is linked to her weak back end. Her weak back end is linked to her long back. Her long back is weak... so she can't use her back end, so she can't even begin to improve. We were on a viscious cycle !

Now, all of a sudden 'hill work' has popped into view. All of a sudden, I notice that I live on a hill ... yes, that exact hill, the one where the rearing first started that made me see there was a problem in the first place ! There's my hill for hill work. We did 10 minutes of very careful, very slow hill work this morning, and she was very cooperative, very thoughful and ended up mentally and physically exhausted. I did the same with joePony this afternoon, and he was bemused wondering why we weren't doing any work at all today.

Aha ! I thought (belatedly).

Kate, Jessey, :eek: i tried the sit ups with Finn, he just wobbled his lip at me!

what am i doing wrong?
i find the tummy triangle and follow it to the tip and itch, and get a lip wobble :eek:
thanks...

:D I tried the situps with Rosie, and she'll do them ... I tried them with Summer, and I don't even get a lip wobble :confused: In the Ttouch book, she uses finger tips on the belly, quite a long way from the center line ... not in a particular spot but 3 or 4 inches one side of the center, at various points until you get a reaction. I suspect it's like any training issue, you have to keep at it, using a firmer touch until you get a reaction - and then reward the slightest try. In the end, I had to focus on what I could see in the background as i looked over the horse, in order to see the back lift at all.

I still haven't started the body-wrap thing ... I want to, but I've already sent off for some bandages, so I'd best wait for them... I think that is going to make a big difference for Rosie - I think she'll love it actually. With the Ttouch, and the very focused exercise her attitude is already vastly improved. Of course - she never had an attitude in the first place ... she just couldn't do this stuff !

its amazing what you can come up with when we bang our heads together - brillient!!:D :D :D

so please you have had that break through moment with your girl too.

i am amazed. i have lunged leah in the pessoa a few more times and she is carring herself totally differntly, even walking around the field!!

its almost as though they suddenly say ''oh i get it, why didnt you just tell me thats what you wanted in the first place!!''

i am now joining you as an avid ''hill rider'' i wind around the roads into our village up, down, up down - wow what a difference. good job i live in the chiltern hills.

keep us updated with your progress!!:)

if the sit ups don't work by scratching under the belly then try cat scratches... Barney doesn't lift much at all when his belly is scratched but he really responds big time when I do the cat scratches on him:D

Yes, please, Julia Gulia - I also want Jackson doing sit ups and if I tickle his tummy, he thinks I am a fly and starts stamping his foot. What are cat scratches? :)

I shall take pictures today at the yard and post them .My chiro in Connecticut showed me how to do them as Barney wouldn't really respond to the belly scratches.

Find a pretty model. We hired Guilty Girl (affectionately known as Gee Gee) for todays shoot
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h231/barnjewels/Sidepulls470-1.jpg

Make sure that your model is standing squarely on all fours. Position yourself behind your model and place your fingernails firmly on each side of her rump. ( please have the model sign a release form before performing this move..it will save you from legal issues later):D
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h231/barnjewels/Sidepulls465.jpg

Imagine a cat having a good scratch on a scratching post with both front paws. Now imagine you are the cat and the model is your scratching post. A loud exhale of "meow "will help you to get into the groove:p
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h231/barnjewels/?action=view&current=Sidepulls475.flv

Some Equine models will work on a shoot for as little as one carrot but in Guilty's case it cost us two carrots, one apple and a few raisins. This came as no shock to as as she is, after all, an Equine Supermodel:D
Sidepulls471.jpg

They are often a bit lazy with the belly scratches to start with - I don't think they get what you want, but mine are now used to it and lift straight away :p Don't be affraid to be pretty firm or perhaps even use a curry comb and give a really good scratch and play about with where you are doing it ;)

Kate, Bo used to be like that at that age - do some controlled brain work and after 15 mins he was done - ride 20 miles and he would easily still come back bouncing :rolleyes: :p After Bo's stifle injury my vet told me to use a Pessoa, but with his explosive episodes I was a bit worried about him cracking himself in the mouth - thats how we ended up at the body wrap :D you are so lucky to have hills to work with :eek:

JG - love that video ;) you do just have to watch for flying feet doing that one though don't you :p

Last edited:
Great vid, Julia Gulia, and the model seemed to be enjoying herself (at least, she didn't throw any mobile phones or stable equipment :p ).

I will give this technique a shot - how many tummy lifts to start with and what should I ultimately be aiming for? Horse has no topline, never really been worked and will shortly be hacking out very gently under saddle. He does have nice bum muscles, though ;)

Just wanted to share a different variation on belly lifting technique that my vet showed me as part of a pony muscle building plan. She recommended three lifts everyday.

You stand behind them and with two fingers on each hand scratch about four inches above the top of the tail on each side maybe shoulder width apart. Scratch in the same spots for 15 to 30 seconds, or as long as your fingers can hold out! For my pony you have to scratch pretty hard! You can see her lift and hold for as long as you are scratching.

I can probably find a picture to illustrate if the explanation doesn't make sense. Just let me know!

ooh i understand, but a pic would be good too, thanks...

pulling tails- standing behind the horse and plling backwards-has anyone heard of that exercise?
i did it last night on finn, and he seemed to quite like it

the idea behind it-i forget it now, will look it up from the book i read it in tonight.

newrider.com