Ahhh Spring!! It does have it's cons!!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Ahhh finally we seem to be getting some spring weather!!!
The downside to this is that sox's feet can only handle a hour on the grass.... Most of the horses aren't lami. So there out all day. Where as at present he isn't. I do let him loose around the yard to come and go for a hour a day. My current options are
  • Do a track system
  • Strip graze him and start of in a small pen
  • Keep him in and let him out for a hour a day
  • try the muzzle again on him
  • We have a small bare mud patch we can turn out in. Put him in there for the day ( with hay) letting him out as much as his feet can cope with.
He is getting very upset not been able to be turned out and cant see the others. Just trying to think of the best way to manage him and so he can still be a horse.

Work then keep in daytime, more work and track overnight. Moving about and off completely on soaked hay plus balancer. I don't like strip because they just stand and get fresh lush green grass every time you move the fence.

Isn't there a pony he could buddy up with?
Actually your last sentence might need more thought. When was the last time he could just be a horse out with his pals without any restrictions due to, or box rest due to something else?

Please don’t keep him in all day except for one hour.
Of your options I would either use a track system as long as you know he won’t break through to the grass, or turn him out on the mud patch with hay.

Reactions: Trewsers
I share your frustrations about spring grass! It is shooting up good and proper now, and with the warm weather this week we are soon going to be covered in green. Ben has never had laminitis, and the vet hasn't even mentioned his weight during the last few vet visits, but I am being ultra careful - simply because I could not bare anything else to happen to him this year! So he is coming in all day (8am till 7pm) and then going out overnight. I am not able to implement a track system as I am on a livery yard where no-one else seems concerned about the grass, so keeping him in during the day is really the only thing I can do.

In your situation I would go for the mud patch I think.

Work then keep in daytime, more work and track overnight. Moving about and off completely on soaked hay plus balancer. I don't like strip because they just stand and get fresh lush green grass every time you move the fence.

Isn't there a pony he could buddy up with?
Actually your last sentence might need more thought. When was the last time he could just be a horse out with his pals without any restrictions due to, or box rest due to something else?
There possibly is a pony he could buddy up with but I would have to speak to the owner.
The last time he was a horse was last week. He was in the full field horses on either side having a right good gallop and squealing lol.

newrider.com