Ale is being very spooky!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So he has been back in work 2 weeks now. I try and do something with him most days for about 20mins. Walk in hand, ride in the school or free school. I have yet to hack out but he has been out in hand and with my mum on board.

He has gotten very spooky which is a bit of a worry, this morning rode in the school and he got really worried about nothing in one corner, and then some people were shouting and again this unsettled him.

Do you think he needs to do a bit more work or do you think he will just settle in time? He's coming back from a check ligament injury so I'm reluctant to do too much but at the same time he does seem very full of himself.

I think he will calm down and settle given time. Some of them are different after lots of time off. OH's horse could have loads of weeks off and be his usual self right away. Storm is okay at first but can turn a bit sharp once the initial novelty of being back in work wears off!

Sounds like he has just got to settle back into work, I'm sure he will get back to normal when he gets into the swing of things. I definitely wouldn't do more just because he is spooky!

If he's anything like Belle it may well be a bit of a protest at having all that time off and now being asked to do something more, I would just keep calm and carry on doing what you are doing, he'll settle again I'm sure once he realises it's business as usual, I wouldn't do more with him either just increase his workload slowly as you are doing.

Mine is hugely spooky all the time, whether he is in work or not!

Oddly, when I really need him to step up to the plate - like last weekend, someone was welding near the road. They couldn't see it, but heard it. I managed to get him to actually see the sparks flying up, and he passed.

Fellow livery had to get off her horse, who is actually much braver than mine.

Am sure if he is not by nature a spooky horse, more work will stop the spookiness. The more energy the majority of horses have, the spookier they are, IMO>

newrider.com