Ale isn't right.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So following on from a thread a while back about canter transition resistance, I've now had the chiro out twice within 3 weeks.

First time he was tight in one shoulder and then the muscle over his hip/bum. This time he was tight in the opposite shoulder and the opposite muscle over hip/bum.

Very strange that it has all swapped sides. He improved, but then started being funny about canter transitions on the right rein again so I got her back out.

Possibility there is another cause (at first thought it was from rough play in the field) which could range from imbalanced feet to a serious leg problem which means semi retirement.

So its not his teeth or his saddle as both have been checked very recently. He's going to have a couple of days off and then probably just go for some walks in hand and gentle freeschooling for a week or so.

I wonder if it perhaps something to do with his front shoes. He was recently changed to a different style of shoe (i know nothing about shoes!) And I think the change ties in with about when I first started having problems with his canter transistions. I will talk to my farrier when I can about swapping back to the other shoe style. Perhaps just clutching as straws though as I don't want it to be anything more serious!

Have you had the vet out? He should be able to do an overall assessment, and if you think it could be a leg problem he's the person you need before you do anything else. Also did you ask the farrier why he's changed his shoes? I'd give him a call & ask because they don't tend to do things for no reason.

Reactions: Trewsers
Poor Ale. Agree I'd get a vet out, for peace of mind as much as anything if your chiropractic has started making alarming suggestions.

Reactions: Trewsers
Yes I will be calling the vet, but I want to talk to the farrier first. She did say it was only a chance and could still be nothing serious, he's not ringing alarm bells just yet but if there is no improvement soon then he will be

I'd get the vet. it could be compensatory for another problem that's just reared its ugly head. Physio was convinced Gems knees were the problem, vet - xrayed. Bilateral hock spavin. Her bad back and tight shoulder compensating for back end lameness.

I kept thinking back, so Physio out regularly... Made her comfy yes, but I was treating the symptoms, not the cause. Then later on, farrier came and shod her and she seemed to go lame, spoke to farrier who came back to take shoes off, said bruised foot. Realistically, it was probably just a coincidence. I took her jumping 2 days after for 1 round. We didn't go clear. 2 refusals. I had to ride strongly. I got off saying she's lame. Her hocks were bad again.

Get the vet. He could have a slight touch of arthritis somewhere which with help is easy to manage. I have managed Kia's for 9 years now without meds and he's still going at 24 out hacking, popping the odd jump and schooling to keep him supple.

I think people rush to retire pointlessly these days when with just a little thought and management things aren't as final.

Speak to your vet, get an assessment done and then go from there. Good Luck

I would personally get the vet now.
Mystique used to compensate through her back and neck and it was all leg/joint related and nothing to do with physio work really,it needed vet treatment.

Keeping my fingers crossed he is feeling better soon :)

As he's having a week off/ just walking inhand its not going to hurt to delay calling the vet until I have spoken to my farrier.

He has gone from top pic to bottom pic shoes (top pic is obviously not him though!)
IMAG4823_1.jpg IMAG4824_1.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG4823_1.jpg
    IMAG4823_1.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 3
Probably not a lot but the toe cut out bit and to me the new ones seem thicker/ chunkier. But I will talk to him about them and go from there, just thought I would share the pics. I'm not looking for suggestions or anything just nice to talk about it all.

Also if anyone knows what the shoes are called that would be helpful!

If you have had physio/chiro done (presumeably with vets agreement) and its not resolving then it would be back to thevets for me it may be something deep rooted thats causing the problem and any ammount of physio work will not fully resolve, I am hugely in favour of complementary treatments but only after a vets diagnosis that nothing else is going on - some treatments can be counter productive in thos instances, as others have mentioned arthritic changes can often be sutle at first - we manage 2 of ours who have had arthritic changes diagnosed and both can still be ridden much against the negative prognosis given at the time,
It difficult to tell re the shoes - better looking underneath the foot at the shape etc to see if they might affect balance and even then you would need a before and after on the same horse.

I will speak to my farrier hopefully on Monday and also my YO who is very knowledgeable. Then if no thoughts come up I will give him a gentle week, try and start riding again and see what happens. For all I know this chiro visit will of done the trick and it won't be an ongoing problem. However there is every chance he wont be better
and then I will have to involve the vet and go from there.

I took a picture of a horse in ales field who wears the same shoes he used to wear. Ale would look funny with all that feather!

Also as he canters easily with no resistance on the lunge/freeschool another thing to do will be to look at my riding in case I am the cause!

newrider.com