Ales feet 6 months on

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ale had a trim today and she's very pleased with his feet. Just thought I would share, still a work in progress but very happy.

Any thoughts or opinions? Starts at near fore, near hind, off hind and off fore.

received_10158410625845156.jpeg received_10158410625575156.jpeg received_10158410625130156.jpeg received_10158410625105156.jpeg

His feet are looking so much better, I am sure you are very pleased. My trimmer never touches the frogs, he will only take of very loose bits and he also leaves the sole alone only taking some of the bars away.

Reactions: lauren123 and MrA
They are looking GREAT!

My trimmer always pares the frogs, so there you go. Ale's feet look much better than Ziggy's, but it's a long road back from laminitis :eek:. He got a 7.2/10 on his trim yesterday though which is the best ever so I'm pleased. You must be thrilled with Ale.

Reactions: MrA
I must take some barefoot pictures of Billie's feet and compare with ales lovely feet. I've had him now 15 months and not had a single trim. The farrier has checked them.
Generally the frogs do seem to self trim on a barefoot.
I was told off by my vet with chunky that the previous farrier had not trimmed his frogs. The frog are supposed to pump the blood through the feet when they walk. It helps to keep the foot healthy.

What are you doing in between trims to try and control the thrush and possibly the beginnings of WLD?

It's tough if your horse is out 24/7 and the pasture is muddy but the hooves still need maintenanced by you 2-3 times weekly:)

What are you doing in between trims to try and control the thrush and possibly the beginnings of WLD?

It's tough if your horse is out 24/7 and the pasture is muddy but the hooves still need maintenanced by you 2-3 times weekly:)

I pick out and spray his feet twice a day with Milton. I'm aware of the issues hence work in progress, my trimmer is helping me with them.

Reactions: Lollykay
I find the difference between his front and his hind frogs astonishing.

His hind have always been barefoot, front shod until 6 months ago.

Ashamed to say I don't know anything about feet but I do follow your posts about his barefoot journey and find it all very interesting. Always had mine shod until January this year when I took my old boys shoes off as he's now retired, I don't know what I'm looking for when I look at them though :oops: will have to do some research. I just happy he's coped so well and hasn't been footsore at all.

newrider.com