Ales hoof infection pic

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Right, after reassurance and advice. I've been picking out and spraying with Milton twice a day, unfortunately due to wet weather its always muddy.

Now got frog oil so plan on doing same with that for a week. I also have clay but hoof needs to be dry for that. His trim is in about 4 weeks so I was thinking waiting until then to clean trax as may be more effective after a trim?

Thoughts please Screenshot_2019-08-20-07-54-52.png

Reactions: Jessey
Clean trax is excellent and will get right in there and kill off anything, if you are going to go that route I would have a kitchen roll handy to dry the foot after and then apply clay to seal out any more mud :) In the mean time with what you have, perhaps soaking a bit of cotton wool in the oil and plugging the gap with that would keep the mud out for longer, or scrubbing or soaking with the Milton, drying with kitchen towel and plugging with clay. Normally with these things, once the crack has been opened up a bit, the anaerobic bacteria loose their strong hold pretty quickly.

My vet recommended this to spray on Ben’s feet whenever it is wet. His feet have a few cracks so it is precautionary but it will kill off any nasties that could lead to infection. This is what I would spray on Ales feet daily and it should kill off whatever is in there.

I'd personally, be wary about usig something too strong or chemical based, as you'll kill off the bacteria as well as the bad. Milton is good as is Red Horse, Horse Leads & The Alchemist Garden's sole or hoof type spray.

i'd also start using hoof clay - it will stay on a not completely dry hoof :) I always put it on after spraying with sole spray.

I use a small screwdriver to help get the clay all the way in to the hole.

Looks similar to Mouse's, and he too was living out 24/7 with no chance for the foot to dry out. Our 3-step process to clearing it up was
1 - twice-weekly, 10-minute Milton soaks (I didn't bother with CleanTrax... they do the same job, but Milton is way cheaper, and I prefer to avoid the more "aggressive" things like PM mentioned above)
2 - towel-drying the foot twice daily and praying with Lincoln Pine Tar Spray. I don't know why stockholm tar has gone out of fashion as it's still one of the most effective external products for foot health!
3 - stuffing the gaps/holes with Red Horse Hoof Stuff, poking it in with a screwdriver to make sure it stayed right in there (great minds and all that @Pete's Mum!)
Mouse's was worse than Ale's looks and came good relatively quickly, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Just for interest, clean trax is less aggressive than bleach (such as Milton), the chemicals in it are actually used in abdominal surgery on people, to clean/flush out the surgical area before sewing up as they become neutral very quickly once they meet oxygen and cause zero damage to living tissue :) its effective not aggressive :) Pine tar is carcinogenic isn't it, pretty sure that's why it's not so popular now.

Last edited:
No pine tar isn't carcinogenic. It's widely used to treat skin conditions. I used to use a pine tar salve on my childhood eczema! It smells amazing too :D I remember trying to apply that thick sticky hoof tar with a hoof oil brush and the mess it used to make & more would end up on you than the hoof, I'm so glad they started making spray versions!

I think the proper pine tar they have stopped using. I use to use polytar shampoo for my psoriasis on my head when I was young but I read that they stopped making it due to carsonagenic. You can still get a similar stuff but it's slightly different composition.

Looks similar to Mouse's, and he too was living out 24/7 with no chance for the foot to dry out. Our 3-step process to clearing it up was
1 - twice-weekly, 10-minute Milton soaks (I didn't bother with CleanTrax... they do the same job, but Milton is way cheaper, and I prefer to avoid the more "aggressive" things like PM mentioned above)
2 - towel-drying the foot twice daily and praying with Lincoln Pine Tar Spray. I don't know why stockholm tar has gone out of fashion as it's still one of the most effective external products for foot health!
3 - stuffing the gaps/holes with Red Horse Hoof Stuff, poking it in with a screwdriver to make sure it stayed right in there (great minds and all that @Pete's Mum!)
Mouse's was worse than Ale's looks and came good relatively quickly, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Thank-you, been using this method except I don't have pine tar spray, but I may order some. Soaking for 10 mins in Milton. Drying and packing with the hoof clay. Everyday I'm picking and brushing out and spraying with Milton or frog oil. Ordered some new anti fungal spray that is highly reviewed so will switch to that when it gets here. I think it's improving so I'll continue with this until my trimmer is next here in a few weeks then do more if she thinks he needs it

newrider.com