All this rain.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ales put on a fair bit of weight the last few weeks. So this morning I've reduced his field in size by about 2/3rds to about 30x30m. Was finally able to move the poles as the rain has softened the ground. I also gave him a small haynet rather than move the fence to give him a section of long grass. He was a little shivery the other day after the chilly night with no rain so I didn't want to leave him with no forage as the grass is very short. But he wasn't shivering. What would you do tonight? Would you give him hay? Long grass? Rug him and nothing extra? Just interested on your thoughts in this weather what you would do (incase you're not having the same weather we are having heavy rain all day and night) as I don't really like the thought of him shivering..

Well Belle has been coming in at night when the weather has been vile and she seems to be enjoying it too! Never though I'd see the day but there you go.
I think I'd probably give him some soaked hay if that's feasible? I don't remember if he has a shelter? If not I'd probably stick a lightweight rug on too.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
I'd put a rain sheet on if you don't like him shivery. Even Hogan shivers in heavy rain, but he's SO huge, it's not going to hurt him. They do look pitiful when they shiver!

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
I must be such a mean mum, my lot will be on exactly their normal rations, no rugs and hopefully loosing a little of the few lbs they have gained recently :) especially as it's meant to stay in double digits here overnight. Now if I get there tomorrow morning and Jess is shivering badly, I might consider drying her off tomorrow night and popping a rain sheet on over night, maybe. She might be a witch on occasion but she won't melt :D

Reactions: Huggy and MrA
I take each day as it comes and with the storm we had that constant rain. Nobody did anything different.
As long as there is forage from hay or grass they shouldn't be cold, if they get chilly they fuzz up and move to a more sheltered part of the field.

I think I just panic about him getting colic which is probably really silly! He does need to lose the extra weight so perhaps would be better to just leave him be with a small amount of hay. I'll see how he's doing when I get up there after work

Reactions: Huggy
Ben will be out tonight naked as usual and wearing his muzzle. If he gets cold he can move around to warm up. He is so fat at the moment I welcome any opportunity for him to shift some weight. If he does shiver, it will be short lived and the shivering will do it's job and warm him up. I would much rather he got cold than got laminitis.

I think I just panic about him getting colic which is probably really silly! He does need to lose the extra weight so perhaps would be better to just leave him be with a small amount of hay. I'll see how he's doing when I get up there after work
Not saying you are wrong, but I've never heard of a horse colicing from getting a little chilly, I can't even see it happening unless you galloped for half the day getting them very hot and sweaty and then threw them straight out on a cold wet winters day.

Reactions: MrA
I know a lady who's horse died of hypothermia induced colic according to the vet, but I don't know any other details so probably am just overthinking it all!

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
Well, Belle isn't fat just now plus our overnight temps are dropping, we had 7 degrees here last night and while I know that isn't cold for a horse, if they are on limited grazing as Belle is and it's hammering down, I can't see the problem with giving a bit of soaked hay or a rain sheet, especially if there isn't anywhere to escape the wind and rain.
I imagine he will be fine though, I'm clearly turning into one of those overbearing owners who want to molly coddle my horse. :rolleyes:

Bit colder where you are @Kite_Rider it's meant to stay at 11c here, my rule of thumb going into autumn is Jess doesn't need a rug if it's double digits so I'm just following that for the odd weather we have now, location obviously changes things in this situation :)

I'd put a rain sheet on if you don't like him shivery. Even Hogan shivers in heavy rain, but he's SO huge, it's not going to hurt him. They do look pitiful when they shiver!

Don't they just! Zi was shivering a few days ago - I went to bed and when I checked him at half ten - it wasn't raining. So I thought he'd be fine, poor lamb. Should have seen him in the morning! The rain came thick and fast and had been coming for a few hours - well he was all quivery and shivery and looked so sorry for himself. I got him in and let him dry and then put a rain sheet on before he went back out. He's a dutch warmblood and not exactly scrawny - but oh my! That face!

Well, Belle isn't fat just now plus our overnight temps are dropping, we had 7 degrees here last night and while I know that isn't cold for a horse, if they are on limited grazing as Belle is and it's hammering down, I can't see the problem with giving a bit of soaked hay or a rain sheet, especially if there isn't anywhere to escape the wind and rain.
I imagine he will be fine though, I'm clearly turning into one of those overbearing owners who want to molly coddle my horse. :rolleyes:

Well I coddle ours too lol lol
Honestly, I never thought I would but there you go! I think you have to weigh things up - and sometimes stuff changes and you have to change your management of them. We'll start worrying when they're wearing onesies and matching socks in winter :p o_O :D:D:D

I would pop a rug on. It's going to be 24hrs continuous rain if he was shivering the other day. Long spell of rain will be worse for ale. I would also provide hay. Sometimes in rain I find the animals stand around more all hunched up. Therefore if they can eat some hay there getting something in there bellies, and less likely a bellyful of soggy grass. If there eating hay it keeps them moving and stimulated, therefore warmer. Weather like this is not a time to skimp on food and rugs.

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
I know a lady who's horse died of hypothermia induced colic according to the vet, but I don't know any other details so probably am just overthinking it all!
I lost my other one to colic.
The list of what could trigger it can make you wonder why they don't get it.
Statistically 85% are non surgery, we were unlucky.

newrider.com