All you mums a little help. What to buy?

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
My OHs cousin (who is also a close friend ) had her first baby yesterday. It was a little boy. She is still in hospital (been in for 4 days) but should be home tonight. I went out yesterday and got baby a couple of presents and a card but want to get mum something for herself as everyone always forgets about mums once baby is here. She is the same age as me (23 , only a day between us lol) and i'm stuck as to what to get her. I was thinking flowers but thought she may get a lot of those. Also should I get dad a little something too? Just so he doesn't feel left out?
I will be going over tomorrow evening to meet baby and give gifts etc. So any ideas greatly recieved:D

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
I did think something like that but think her mum has already done that as she was there at the birth. I am yet to meet the new little person. (who as yet is nameless)

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Flowers are nice, but when I had my first baby I got so many of them my house was like a florists and with a new baby I didn't get the time to arrange them and cut them properly so they died sooner than they should have. Plus they took up loads of space in my little house.

I would buy her something that she couldn't have or use during the pregnancy. Alcohol always goes down well - especially the little bottles of wine/champayne that are not enough to get to drunk but are good enough for a taste. Books are good for those middle of the night feeding sessions, as are hair care products. After pregnancy hair is really difficult to care for because when you are pregnant you don't shed hair, so it can come out in big clumps after the baby is born. Or, if you wanted to spend a bit more money, vouchers for new clothes are always a favourite with new mums as your friend will be keen to go shopping as soon as the baby weight starts to come off. If all else fails, chocolate always goes down well.

While I got loads of presents, no-one got my husband anything so it would be nice to include him as well, but then again it is the mum who has had to endure 9 months of pregnancy and given birth so she is really the most important one.

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
Thankyou. Some good ideas there:) She's a hairdresser so she probably has lots of hair care stuff:eek:

Does anywhere sell new mum sets? I found a set online whebn she was pregnant for new mums which had relaxing bath oils etc in it and chocolates etc.But i haven't seen them in any shops

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Thankyou. Some good ideas there:) She's a hairdresser so she probably has lots of hair care stuff:eek:

Does anywhere sell new mum sets? I found a set online whebn she was pregnant for new mums which had relaxing bath oils etc in it and chocolates etc.But i haven't seen them in any shops

Why not make your own 'new mum' box? I got one from my friends at work and it was even more special because they chose what to put in it. They got a nice basket (which I still use to keep my bits and bobs in), some wine, some baby sponges, some face cream, a hairbrush, some baby clothes, my fave chocolates etc. It was really nice and I'm sure it cost far less than the pre-packaged mum to be boxes. If you have a decent 'boots' store near you I'm sure that you could get everything to inlcude in it there.

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
Why not make your own 'new mum' box? I got one from my friends at work and it was even more special because they chose what to put in it. They got a nice basket (which I still use to keep my bits and bobs in), some wine, some baby sponges, some face cream, a hairbrush, some baby clothes, my fave chocolates etc. It was really nice and I'm sure it cost far less than the pre-packaged mum to be boxes. If you have a decent 'boots' store near you I'm sure that you could get everything to inlcude in it there.

oohhh good idea. Will take a trip out tomorrow we have a huge boots in the next big town. Where do you get baskets from?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
oohhh good idea. Will take a trip out tomorrow we have a huge boots in the next big town. Where do you get baskets from?

Ummm, not sure. You could try the homeware departments of the bigger supermarkets (sainsburys, asda etc.) or, if you are near a homebase or B&Q they might sell them. If you can't find one, you could always get a normal cardboard box and wrap it in brightly coloured paper to put the goodies into.

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
Ummm, not sure. You could try the homeware departments of the bigger supermarkets (sainsburys, asda etc.) or, if you are near a homebase or B&Q they might sell them. If you can't find one, you could always get a normal cardboard box and wrap it in brightly coloured paper to put the goodies into.

There are a few craft shops around and garden centres. Do you think they'd sell them? We made a christmas hamper up for someone this year but can't think where we got the basket from:rolleyes:

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
Think the mums box sounds a great idea.

Thought id suggest a few items to put in, ones id have liked.

lavender oil
geranium oil- both great for helping heal after birth, good in a jug beside the loo for sore tail ends and also in a bath. I swear by these.
Deo wipes- hard to always find time for a shower in the early days so handy for a quick freshen up.
Nice cookies esp if breast feeding, i never had a sweet tooth until i breast fed, then i was up at 3am eating anything sweet i could get my hands on!
Big fat maternity pads and breast padsmight sound obvious and you'll think she'll have enough, even tho i was a midwife i was shocked at the amount of pads you go thru, esp breast pads.
Fancy fruit/nice fruit juiceGoing to the loo isn't good for the first few days, fruit/fruit juice will help, maybe too much info but its the truth.
Anything soppyim not normally the teary type, or wasn't pre kids. AFter my first my best friend gave me this little box and it said something like a special gift for my mummy, im giving you my heart or something twee, well i broke my heart, was the moment i realised just how much becoming a parent changes you.

The thing i appreciated liked most after my first child was born was a good friend who comes round, makes a cuppa and tells you how gorgeous the new baby is and how well you're doing.
I also appreciated my best mates who'd hang up washings, do my dishes etc or sit with the baby whilst i had a soak in the bath. These things were much better than any gift, they made me feel supported and loved which is what most newly post natal women need.

Phew, thought i felt a twinge of broodiness there:eek: :eek:...

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
aaaww (Im terribly broody and poor OH is panicking like mad about me meeting new person tomorrow esp as his brother had a baby at xmas and i spent most of xmas cuddling the baby:p )

Thankyou for the suggestions. Think I will do her a hamper. Any other suggestions for items to put in the hamper? (having not got any kids yet i don't really know what is appreciated most)

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
other things that i would have liked are things like nice posh teabags, nice coffee and biscuits etc not even so much for the new parents but for the endless visitors they will have.

Special Mummy mug/ Daddy mug is always good. Im so not into stuff like that usually, wouldn't want it now but after first baby the more twee the better for me!!

s4sugar

Aug 9, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Something for your friend for herself and not just the baby's mum.

How about a goodie hamper of old fashioned sweeties - something like Kali or flying saucers. Lolipops and other silly things:)
I bought optrex for a friend who'd had an 11lb whopper of a baby but sent it with some Yankee candles.

Last edited:

tiga

Oct 29, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex
I'm not a mum, but with a few of my friends I have got them vouchers for a massage or facial. They went down a treat!

Not the sort of thing they'd buy themselves but a lovely hour or so of 'me' time once they feel up to it and are ok about leaving the baby for a couple of hours.

Demson

Mar 29, 2004
Northampton UK
www.northantsnaturally.co.uk
The hamper of course,, doh Slaps head... that is what I done for my mate, I got a lovely wicker basket with a floral fabric weaved into it. I filled this with items such as, baby wipes, cotton buds, baby lotion, baby shampoo, loads of stuff, I also added some Thortons toffees which go down well and some other pressies for her which I can't remember now what they were.

bigmare

Oct 12, 2008
wonderful wiltshire!
Its such a lovely idea, I did one for my friend and put in it lots of 'nice things'... Boots do a range called ' for mama too' (I think its Boots!) its with all the baby creams etc, and its nice lotions and potions for the mummy! Nice scented candles etc... Have fun shopping, if your broody now you'll be even more so tomorrow!

Libbylou

Jan 20, 2010
Norfolk and good
Hotel chocolate do a nice baby pack for parents.

When I had my youngest 7 mths ago we go so many bunches of flowers they drove me mad. A friend bought us a baby box to put all his little bits from the hospital in which is lovely, its made by East of India.

Hope you have a lovely time meeting him.

daftdraught

Jul 24, 2009
Promise to babysit and buy some cinema tickets or book a restaurant. I can remember wanting some time to myself:eek:

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
pampering for her, like a nice meal out - you can babysit - or something for them as a couple.

or luxury goodies, nice jams, honey, biscuits, or on a practical make her some homemade cakes, soups, things she can freeze and warm up without having to worry about making meals.

or baby clothes much older than baby so they grow into them as sure they must get tons of new babes which are hardly used.