Allen and Page Fast Fibre

chickitta

Sep 6, 2008
Berkshire...
Thanks for all your input everyone, love nr, always so much help... this feeding lark is definately complicated!!:rolleyes: I've bought a sack of ff.. so will be feeding it tonight, need to use up the rest of my ride and relax so gradually introducing the ff...

littlepony

Jan 19, 2009
JLP

FF is a fibre replacement and Topspec Lite is a balancer so really different things. You would have to feed mre FF to get the same vits. Sorry if you already knew this and I have butted in !!!:)

BenjiandAnge

Mar 15, 2009
Northants/Leics border
A bag of FF around my area is £7.10; to feed at reccommended rate a bag for my 14.1 hh welshie would last 13 days;
A bag of Top Spec lite balancer is £27 which lasts 50 days;
So If I use half a scoop of FF which 2 bags will last me 52 days and a balancer; it will cost £27 + £14.20 = £41.20

I can buy nearly 6 bags of FF for that which will last me, fed at the reccommended rate, 6 x 13 = 78 days

Confused.com :confused: :D

So when the balancer is done, I'm going to feed 3/4 a scoop of ff twice a day, then no need for any other feeds at all :cool:

fat pony

Feb 29, 2020
Can anyone help me please, iv just put my fat highland pony on a&p fast fiber with top spec zero, do I need to still give him the top spec balancer he,s been having. He also has soaked hay

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Yes you do, Fast Fibre won't give sufficient vits & mins. To be honest if he's fat at this time of year I'd cut out the Fast Fibre and Top Spec Zero and just feed the balancer.

Reactions: Jessey

fat pony

Feb 29, 2020
Yes you do, Fast Fibre won't give sufficient vits & mins. To be honest if he's fat at this time of year I'd cut out the Fast Fibre and Top Spec Zero and just feed the balancer.
Thanks for your help, iv only taken him on this week, he,s been overfed all winter, he,s only having 4.5 kg of soaked hay a day with 4 to 5 hours grazing most days but am looking to fence a small area of & cut that down to1 to 2 hour. I havent had a horse for over 30 years and things have changed sooooo much ! !

Reactions: Huggy

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Having a fattie is what brought me onto this forum! Good luck with the diet!

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Thanks for your help, iv only taken him on this week, he,s been overfed all winter, he,s only having 4.5 kg of soaked hay a day with 4 to 5 hours grazing most days but am looking to fence a small area of & cut that down to1 to 2 hour. I havent had a horse for over 30 years and things have changed sooooo much ! !

What's your grazing like? He may better having more time out than stood in a stable, at least out he's moving around which means he's using more calories and keeping his metabolism more active. If needs be could he wear a muzzle when out if the grass is too much for him? Stabled they just stand still doing nothing, that isn't good for them.

fat pony

Feb 29, 2020
What's your grazing like? He may better having more time out than stood in a stable, at least out he's moving around which means he's using more calories and keeping his metabolism more active. If needs be could he wear a muzzle when out if the grass is too much for him? Stabled they just stand still doing nothing, that isn't good for them.
Grass quite good & not many on it & he just pigs all day. He had lammi very bad last spring,was touch & go, he also has cushins. tried muzzle, . . . Straight of, , time after time ! !

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
In that case try to find time to exercise twice a day because being stood in that long really won't do him any favours.