allen and page slim and and healthy

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
Does anyone feed this to there good doers?
I feed minnie a 14.2 dales good doer and carrots but she is finding it a bit drab,(eats carrots and then blows the good doer around the bucket till she is bored enough to eat it) i bought some baileys lo cal and she likes it but i would prefer to use a mix type feed so that in the summer she can have it as a token feed or when she has been worked.

i have been looking into allen and pages slim and healthy and it looks okay for what i want but just wondered if anyone has any good or bad feed back on it.

First of all, I might wonder if your mare is all that hungry if she turns her nose up at Good-Doer and carrots ;)

Do you damp the chaff? I always do just to be on the safe side, although I think technically you don't have to, and the horses seem to find it more palatable and easier to eat that way. Swallow won't eat hers dry.

I used to get the odd bag of mix to give a little handful after work, but to be honest it doesn't keep all that well in warm weather if you only use it very slowly, and Merly is just as happy with some chopped apples and carrots in his bowl.

If you really want to use mix you could probably do a lot worse than Allen and Page, but if you're talking feeding very small quantities, then I think the type of mix you use is pretty much academic.

We feed Hi-Fi, which is boring and they don't get excited about it, but we also mix in 1 small scoop on unmollased Beet and mix well and they enjoy it then, they only get a small amount of carrots due to the sugar content and I'm paranoid at this time of year for Laminitis.

They also have garlic and 1/2 measure of top spec.com mixed in to give a little extra, and are fed twice a day.

I think the beet dampens it down a little and also gives texure.

From a very overweight Cob Percy who we have on retirement, we have managed to get his weight down 25 kgs, and even my Charlie cob who can eat for england, or stand in a poached field and still put weight on, have dropped 15kgs, whilst the T/B, has more quantity and has maintained his weight perfectly over winter.

They all get weighed hay overnight also if in = to a total feed (incl Hi Fi) of 1.5% x their bodyweights, which is not much for the cobs, but as they have turn out all year round its not a problem

Hope this helps a bit.

She eats her carrots no problem and she does eat her good doer but like caroline says does not get excited about it.

The point ros made about the feed in the summer not lasting long especially if i am feeding small amounts was one i didnt think about. I am used to feeding 3 in the summer and now i have only one its a good point. I might try damping it to, maybe with sugar beet but i think i will try a bag of S&H just to give a bit of substance to the feed.

Rio turned her nose up at straight hi fi lite at times last summer, but it was a different story when we tried adding garlic. Damping down, be it with sugar beet or just plain old water helps too. We feed a trace of mix which gets upped after work at the moment, but that'll reduce once the grass kicks in.

Yep I do. It was the only lo cal feed I could get Rhi to eat. I now have 10 vouchers to go through before the end of this year :eek: as I won their competion year before last. Rhi does not eat that much :p Does anyone know how well feed stores?

I havent used Slim and Healthy but Kally and Tali are on A+P's Calm and Condition which is an excellent feed. They are both looking great, esp as they are an Arab and a TB out 24/7 with little shelter.

I also like the A+P vegan thing. Im not into that sort of thing myself, and have no probs eating GM food, but its different with horses I think. They are herbivores and I'd like them to stay that way.

My horse used to get Spillers Herbal Mix, but I introduced Slim & Healthy to her diet (in addition to the Herbal Mix) about 6 months ago. She loves it (but then she is a greedy wee mare and loves all food!). I'm very pleased with it because my horse is in pretty good shape (not as porky as she used to be!), has a nice shiny coat and is generally very healthy. Not sure how much of that is down to the Slim & Healthy, but it must play a part! Oh and another thing - it is fairly cheap and lasts me for ages - good for saving the pennies!

I was feeding it but even that makes Libby goa bit stupid!!! Now she is just on good do-er but she is another one who turns her nose up at it unless it is mixed with apple juice!!! That works a treat - unsweetened fat free tesco's value apple juice - it's excellent. Will get the fussiest of eaters to eat anything ;)

She has had it for a few days now and loves it, i am trying to cut the feed down now as well . I got one of those dengie buckets for measuring and i cant beleive how much it tells you you should feed. She proberly has the recommeded daily intake in one week, there no way she will eat all that in one day. A bag of good doer last me a month or more. Minnie has too many carrots in her meals so i am trying to cut them down so she has a handful of s&h and a handful of g,doer in the morning and same at night .She has a multi vit in it to. As long as she has plenty of hay at night she shouldnt complain to much!!! She really has got fat though!

newrider.com