Allergic reaction-what to do???

belle

Jul 7, 2001
Yesterday I was grooming my horse, and as her mane was tangly, I applied some baby oil to make the mane easier to comb through. She hadnt had any on before, but as baby oil is gentle, I thought it would be fine....

Today she has come out in large lumps and bumps under her mane which must e a reaction to the baby oil!!!

What should I do with these lumps and bumps? She enjoys them being scratched, but otherwise they dont bother her. Should I put some kind of creme or ointment on, or wait for the lumps to go down?

Please reply asap, as worried and guilty horse owner here!!!:(

Well - I've not heard of baby oil having that effect, but I'd say you'd be better not to put anything else on - if the lumps don't go away by themselves in a day or two then you might phone the vet. You don't suppose there's a special breed of fly that really likes the taste of baby oil, do you?

Hmmm, not sure, never used baby oil (heard of its uses of course) so I've never heard of any side affects or allergies. I'd go along with what ros said, wait a few days. If they don't go away call your vet or if you are really worried, you can call him now. I hope all goes well! :D

Baby oil can cause an allergic reaction, usually it's just swelling but lumps and bumps are consistent with other allergic reactions. You could try putting some soothing aloe vera gel on it but otherwise they should go on their own. If they're still there in a few days, get bigger or become painful then I'd be looking to the vet for more advice.

Bebe - what is it in the baby oil? I've never used it myself. An old instructor used to powder young horse's backs with Johnsons baby powder to help prevent friction (never actually tried that myself either).

I do remember reading a long time ago that it's always safer not to use human products on horses, however innocuous they may appear, unless specifically advised to do so by a vet. Maybe that's a good maxim to follow?

I do think that horses, like people, have different sensitivity levels. What is suitable for one horse, may not be for another. We've had horses on our yard react to horse products, which have been completely suitable for the majority.

Normally greys have the most sensitive skin - and horses with white legs, muzzles etc - these areas are normally more sensitive. But there are probably exceptions to this!

Haven't a clue what causes the reaction to baby oil, it's not something that would automatically spring to mind as an allergen.

I used it for part of last winter on my mares legs to prevent mud fever, it did the trick without any problems but after being told this (by a vet) I'll use something else this coming winter.

Apparently the reaction to baby oil is usualy only mild and is often seen as a slight swelling of the area it's been applied to. Most people don't even notice it.

I put baby oil on my horses mane on day and she came infrom the field with lumps. I found out later that the flies were attracted to the baby oil.

My grey pony has just had an allergic reaction to the fly spray I've been using. She's covered in hives.

Anyone know of some non-allergenic fly spray that I could use on her?

newrider.com