Allergic to fly sprays!

Georgie.I

Aug 8, 2008
Altrincham, cheshire
Ive tried many sprays on my horse and he gets very grump and quite nervous/aggressive when spray is put on! So we have decided not to spray him as my instructor thinks he is allergic. He has a fly rug but when out riding its a pain ad they are everywhere! Does anyone have any reccomendations on what i could use which wont affect him but will get flies away! I was going to get a "fly riding rug" but thought he may get hot!Thanks

You could get him a fly fringe or mask, and make a fly swatter!! get some horse hair or bailer twine to tie to the end of a whip then it is like a horse tail! Also have you tried putting fly spray on his tail and possibly mane?

has your horse actually shown any signs of a reaction, such as lumps and bumps, peeling skin etc.? he may just not like the sound of sprays. Try spraying the repellent onto a cloth and wiping it over him.

ditto EB. Mine comes out in lumps and gets itchy when he reacts to a liquid.

Am atm testing out diluted TCP and Dettol mix. So far so good..........

I'd try a few different ones, if you're on a yard then be cheeky & ask people if you can try a single squirt of theirs ;). There are loads of different ones on the market & a really wide range of ingredients so hopefully you can find something that works.

Have you tried diluted Dettol? That works fairly well as long as you don't mind the smell. A friend also adds vinegar - stinks but seems effective!

newrider.com