Already asked, need more ideas...

ladyluxor

Apr 11, 2008
norfolk
I did ask if you could recommend any books, i hav just finished chosen by a horse which i realy enjoyed and couldnt put down once i started it.

I want a couple of books to take into hospital with me whilst i have my baby (due to haveing a c section)

I did have a couple os suggestions but i was wondering if any of you could recommend anymore,

doesnt have to be horse related, i like true stories aswell.

I have searched in the libary but to be honest i dnt know where to start in there unless you know what you are looking for.

Book tastes are incredibly personal and variable but here are some I liked:

Touching the Void - Joe Simpson.
True mountaineeting tale of a man who broke his legs when he fell in a crevasee and crawled back to camp over 3 days. May help put the c-section discomfort into perspective...

Don't shoot the dog - Karen Pryor. Entertaining account of how to clicker train dolphins, dogs, chickens, horses, husbands and (probably) infants!

Bad Science: Ben Goldacre. Well I liked it anyway

5 Fat Ladies: Very funny account of motherhood from the perspective of 'normal' women from pregnancy to delivery and the first 12 months.

If you have got a nintendo DS, then get the 100 classic book collection. It is great, there is such a variety and they are all really good - plus you can read in the dark and don't have to carry books around with you.

The Horse Dancer - Jojo Moyes. Has its odd sacherine (spl) moments but a nice read.

The Bolter - Frances Osborne. Enjoying this at the mo.

Good luck.

Crow Lake by Mary Lawson is one of my favourites.

Anything by Jane Austen, there's a fabulous sense of humour even when things go wrong for the characters.

The Narnia series! Might be a kid's selection but I just bought myself the box set and am reading them again after (ahem) 30 years or so. Easy and enjoyable!

Narnia - good call!

How about Dune? Good old fashioned sci-fi.

Or... Anne McCaffrey's Pern series (replace horse with dragon and you're in the right direction)....

I would recommend the Byerly Turk by Jeremy James if you want a good horsey epic! (take your mind off being in hospital).
If you like a good thriller - have you tried any Jeffrey Deavers? His Lincoln Rhyme series takes some beating (totall non horsey tho!)
I love a good historial novel too - the Simon Scarrow series of Roman soldier books are brill - really makes you think about what life would have been like for the Roman invaders!

Horsey books ... I like Jenny Pitman's series about horse racing ... very well written and you actually care about the characters plus lots of horsey excerpts!

Oh ladyluxor, you aren't going to have time to read once the baby is out..:eek: You will be gazing at the baby, feeding the baby, bathing the baby, changing the baby, praying for the baby to go to sleep and stop crying, and when it does go to sleep, so will you...:D

Could be 18 years or more before you get the chance to pick up a book again...:D

But before the C section, I can endorse 'The Time Traveller's Wife"..:)

Oh ladyluxor, you aren't going to have time to read once the baby is out..:eek: You will be gazing at the baby, feeding the baby, bathing the baby, changing the baby, praying for the baby to go to sleep and stop crying, and when it does go to sleep, so will you...:D

Could be 18 years or more before you get the chance to pick up a book again...:D

But before the C section, I can endorse 'The Time Traveller's Wife"..:)

:D:D:D I think i forgot about all that.Cant you tell iv had a 14year break.

Made me chuckle.
xx

this is not a horsey book, but if you can remember the original poldark series on tv , and liked it, you might enjoy the "loveday" series by kate tremayne; about 10 books in all, historical setting, about a family in cornwall, landed gentry, some of them scandalous, smugglers, and high adventure. well written, not too romantic, each book takes up the story from the life of another family member. and really addictive, hence i am now on book 7, and awaiting arrival of book 8. they are a really good read.

The Clan of the Cave Bear series. I loved those. They have horses in and are about the pre-history and a young women's story. Big thick books - you might not get through the first one before you have the baby, then you would have no time. So many not such a good recommendation!

newrider.com