Am i going to be too big

Misha

Nov 28, 2018
Just recently bought this little fur baby ( 8ish wks ago ) for a companion for my 16.3hh gelding iv now decided I would like to ride him as I'm thinking of retiring my boy but my worry with the new one is that I might be too big for him when I bought him they said he was 14hh ( hes not ) I think hes more 13.2hh hes 7 yr old not bum high so doubt he will grow anymore I'm 5ft 5/6 ish and only about 10 stone but would appreciate anyone's thoughts as to weather or not I'd be too bigFB_IMG_1562101574491.jpg

Attachments

• 20180910_124035.jpg
    20180910_124035.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190629_145445.jpg
    20190629_145445.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 17
He looks quite stocky, and solid, so I doubt he'd struggle with your weight. I've got an Irish cob, 13hh, and BROAD! I'm about 5'2, and about 8 and a half, 9 stone(just put weight on recently :( ) mine certainly takes up my leg, and I've been told I don't look at all under-horsed. I think you'd be fine :). He's lovely by the way!

Reactions: lauren123 and Misha
Try it and see how it feels. Often the bigger problem is getting a saddle to fit you both, but a good saddler will usually find something. It'll probably do him good to do some work :)

Reactions: Misha
How's it going with your other horse?

My cob carries ten stone fine and she's about 14hh.
She can take a 17" saddle if it's straighter cut.

Reactions: Misha
How's it going with your other horse?

My cob carries ten stone fine and she's about 14hh.
She can take a 17" saddle if it's straighter cut.
Having a few issues with him at the mo :( hes out 24/7 in the summer turnout field with the rest brought in at weekends for a break from the grass hes kicking out when putting fly rug on and taking it off and he means it too hes swinging his bum towards me n everyone else but he needs it on cos of his sarcoids the flys attack them hes currently on sar x twice a day n thuga cream hoping this works but at mo hes having more mood swings than the weather :(

Did your issues start with the new companion arriving?
No not really hes allways been moody each day is different with him one day hes like a puppy follows me everywhere lots of cuddles etc then the next day he wants to kill me wont t let me touch / catch him ears back swings his bum kicks out... hes out with 4 other geldings it's a gelding only herd and hes boss of the others that includes new one

Why did you buy a companion if They hadn't moved onto the yard at that time he was on his own it's only a small yard 2 have only been on there about a month the other turned up yesterday and I got my other boy ( the cob ) 8 weeks ago my 16.3 hates been on his own and suffers with separation anxiety before I got my cob he had been with 2 mares who he was very good friends with but sadly they moved off hence my reason for getting him a companion

Reactions: Jessey
About a saddle, someone mentioned getting one to fit. I'd thoroughly recommend thorowgood - my saddler adjusted a 2nd hand one I'd got very easily to fit my chubber.

About a saddle, someone mentioned getting one to fit. I'd thoroughly recommend thorowgood - my saddler adjusted a 2nd hand one I'd got very easily to fit my chubber.
Ok thanks I'll have a look around and have a word with a fitter

Is the companion backed and rideable?

Initially I would want to know why my current one is stopping me from catching them though. Aggressive behaviour can be pain related ulcers maybe. Or he's unsettled with the yard move.

Is the companion backed and rideable?

Initially I would want to know why my current one is stopping me from catching them though. Aggressive behaviour can be pain related ulcers maybe. Or he's unsettled with the yard move.
Yes hes been backed and is rideable
That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of when I went up tonight to check them he was more friendly but still putting ears back walking off grazing he wont respond to either me or my partner or anyone else just lifts his head occasionally to see what were up to which is bad manners like I say some days hes fine hes like a puppy then others hes horrid and aggressive my partner is a novice so I'm weary about having my partner near him when hes like this with the fly rug it's when you go to do the last strap nearest his hind legs he kicks out violently he has sarcoids round his sheaf but none are near the strap iv made sure I did wonder if it could b ulcers a couple of days ago but thort I'd see how he went I'm going to ring my vet and see about getting him scoped

Yes hes been backed and is rideable
That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of when I went up tonight to check them he was more friendly but still putting ears back walking off grazing he wont respond to either me or my partner or anyone else just lifts his head occasionally to see what were up to which is bad manners like I say some days hes fine hes like a puppy then others hes horrid and aggressive my partner is a novice so I'm weary about having my partner near him when hes like this with the fly rug it's when you go to do the last strap nearest his hind legs he kicks out violently he has sarcoids round his sheaf but none are near the strap iv made sure I did wonder if it could b ulcers a couple of days ago but thort I'd see how he went I'm going to ring my vet and see about getting him scoped
Forgot to add hes been on this yard since Feb this year and is happier than were he was before because hes out more it was very restricted grazing at last yard even with winter turnout the fields were just mud so he was in majority of the time

I think your description of horrid and aggressive differs a bit from mine.
The putting ears back and walking away isn't aggressive, that's just a bit insolent. He's not a dog that will come running up to you wagging his tail he is a horse.
Some will come to call saying that and on occasion mine will trot over.
But, on the whole she looks and goes back to eating and may lift her head for the headcollar when I get to her. She absolutely hates a fuss if you are bringing me in, bring me in. I love my fusses being turned out, now I am putty in your hand.
You may just be overthinking things and expecting the horse to be thrilled by your company everyday, whereas I would pleased they didn't gallop off at the sight of me. :)

I think your description of horrid and aggressive differs a bit from mine.
The putting ears back and walking away isn't aggressive, that's just a bit insolent. He's not a dog that will come running up to you wagging his tail he is a horse.
Some will come to call saying that and on occasion mine will trot over.
But, on the whole she looks and goes back to eating and may lift her head for the headcollar when I get to her. She absolutely hates a fuss if you are bringing me in, bring me in. I love my fusses being turned out, now I am putty in your hand.
You may just be overthinking things and expecting the horse to be thrilled by your company everyday, whereas I would pleased they didn't gallop off at the sight of me. :)
I would never expect him to act like a dog and come straight over to me when he sees me he is exactly that a horse he will stand and be caught at times but more often wont hes not going to be thrilled to see me every day no I dont expect him to be neither my other is totally different will be caught no trouble at all comes as soon as he sees hears me but every horse is different they all have there own personality he hates fusses my other loves them

You mentioned he's kicking when you do leg straps, does he do this year round? A pony I ride sometimes has sweetitch and he gets terribly bitten around his sheath and inside his back legs and he is very kicky when you put his lotions on and the leg straps on his rug, even when you brush his tail, it's got to be done though so we just get on with it but only once he has a head collar on to restrain him if need be.

Does he have a routine? Do you catch him and bring him in from the field everyday to groom and sort his rug, or are you trying to do this in the field? If you are trying to fuss him in the field while he is grazing, is it really surprising that he gets grumpy and tries to carry on grazing?

Reactions: carthorse
With your bigger boy I'd say you need to make the time to bring him in and handle him every day, it sounds like he's calling the shots and that's not doing either of you any favours. Tie him up to do his rug & don't do it while he's eating if that makes him grumpier - some like peace to eat & while ultimately he has to tolerate you it's best to start with easy steps first. At this stage he's bullying you & you're letting him, if he meant to do you harm he would have & if he meant to kill you you wouldn't be here telling us about it - they're bigger, stronger & faster than us, and very accurate with feet and teeth, if he meant to hurt you you wouldn't stand a chance with him loose in a field.

newrider.com