Am I going to be too big?

M

mu0ljk

Update (piccies) Am I going to be too big?

I have been asked to ride a little madam of a pony who is around 12hh for a friend at the yard I am at. She's probably a middlewieght type - I am 8.5stones and 5 foot 4.

Do you think I will be okay riding her? I'm not going to e doing anything strenuous or jumping or anything just flatwork once or twice a week to get her used to having someone on board who doesn't give in when she has decided she has had enough and decides to go and eat grass instead of working!! ;)

All I can say is I hope she doensn't do that to me - that would be embarrassing!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
im 9.5 stone and 5ft5 and have a 12hh section a, i ride her quite alot and she has no trouble carrying me, doesnt put up a fight at all and sill has plently left to tank off occasionally:rolleyes: :D

Zingy said:
Whether you can stay on though is a different matter..... ;) :D

I know!! Hehehehe!!! :D

Will have to get some pictures so you can all have a laugh! Especially if I do come off!! ;)

Im 5ft2 and I ride a welsh pony who is 12.1hh. She isnt very chunky, and I am a bit lighter than you, but people heavier than me ride her. You'll be fine - you might look a little silly but dont worry - your biggest problem will be the feel of riding something so small.

I dont think that would be a problem. a few years ago when i worked at a riding school i was 8 1/2stone, and 5'6 andhad to ride an 11.2 as it kept bucking the little ones off!! was a very strange feeling riding something that little after being used to riding the big 14.2 cobs

Well I rode her this morning. It was such good fun! I was using the young girls stirrup/leathers so I was riding jockey length - next time I will put my own leathers/stirrups on! My thighs were aching something rotten at the end cos they were so short!!

The heavens also opened so we got absolutley soaked!! Aside from some steering issues we got on ok and I have agreed to school her on Mondays if I have time - really enjoyed it!! :D

As promised a couple of photos - before i got on - I almost went straight over the other side - not quite a wide or as far up as my 16.2hh!! And another at the end of the session - where we are both very wet!!

ellie.jpg

ellie1.jpg

sorry they are big - I don't know how to make them smaller!

Glad you enjoyed it-its all about the fun, was going to say (although its probably a bit late now) I'd worry more about being embarassed by the pony than the size-I made that mistake-'ha ha look how small this pony is-ha ha-uhoh can't stop!!' :D :D
Vicki xx

newrider.com